After looking at job roles I have decided that I would like to know more about the role and purpose of Ceremonial Gunners (CG) with the idea of applying for the role. The Army's recruitment website doesn't provide a huge amount of info on what they actually do on a day to day basis and if they have to have a second job within the regular artillery.
I do understand that you can train in a secondary trade such as saddler, tailor or farrier.

I read on an old thread that you couldn't apply directly to be a ceremonial gunner anymore but again, I have no idea how true that is.

So, if someone could please inform me as to the following, that would great!

1: As a CG, are you also expected to work for the 'normal' artillery?
2: What's the day to day life like once qualified?
3: What does phase 2 consist of, for a CGunner?
4: Would you ever have to go on tour with the artillery?
5: Can you apply directly to be a CG?

In old money you had to apply for King's Troop and already be a gunner within the RA. Unlike other public duties (guards, HCMR etc) you had to volunteer rather than get stiffed, as far as I can remember. You must like polishing stuff and mucking out Neddy at 5am. I didn't even realise you could go straight in as King's Troop?

The RHA and HCMR used to be the only route into the horsey set for commoners and nice work if you were into posh birds and lucrative equestrian gigs. Or so I was told.

Don’t know how up to date this is... copied from:

MOUNTED FORCES CAREER PATHWAY

In order to become a member of the King’s Troop, you don’t need any formal qualifications. Relevant experience or an interest in veterinary work, leadership, personal fitness training/coaching and teaching is however advantageous.​
After your 14 week army basic army training, you’ll take a 15-week course to become a Gunner (Royal Artillery Soldier). During training, you’ll also have to pass the King’s Troop RHA’s Potential Recruits Course.​
Once a member of the Troop, you’ll learn to ride and drive in a Gun Team of six galloping horses and also be trained to fire Royal Salutes.​
Neither army pathways expect previous experience with horses, however the HCMR and King’s Troop suggest BHS Stage 2 in Complete Horsemanship will be an advantage to any aspiring solider wishing to progress through these pathways.​

Thanks. It is practically identical to the information on the recruitment page.

It's more that I want to specifically know if I can solely be ceremonial or if I'd be expected to be a generic artillery gunner as well as ceremonial on the side (a bit like the Lifeguards, Blues & Royals).

Thanks. It is practically identical to the information on the recruitment page.

It's more that I want to specifically know if I can solely be ceremonial or if I'd be expected to be a generic artillery gunner as well as ceremonial on the side (a bit like the Lifeguards, Blues & Royals).
You would almost certainly rotate into / out of the role - sould would spend some time wearing shiny boots in London, and other times muddy ones on Salisbury Plain.

QRK2

LE
You would almost certainly rotate into / out of the role - sould would spend some time wearing shiny boots in London, and other times muddy ones on Salisbury Plain.

I'm not sure on what you base this. They are not qualified to do other RA jobs, they have more in common with CAMus in that, although they have to do basic, they are primarily ceremonial troops and any 'green' stuff is very much secondary once the are qualified. Very different from HCR and Foot Guards.

A handful of their juniors did get attachments to other Gunner units on HERRICK, but they had to do L3 courses before they could deploy. In theory in total war they have a job as (IIRC) drivers, in much the same way CAMus are CBRN gophers or whatever. Have a look at the (absence of) campaign medals on their Seniors' fancy jackets in comparison with others of that era.

Last edited:
Hi, I've actually done a fair amount of research on this and asked around. From what I've learned, it's purely a ceremonial job. As was previously mentioned above, you would have to pass special recruit training during your 15 weeks artillery training before beginning your training as a 'ceremonial gunner' with the King's Troop.
You will be spending a huge amount of time polishing, mucking stalls etc outside of your training with the horses. Be prepared for long days with very early starts e.g. being out and preparing the horses by 3am or even earlier. It's worth writing a list of your questions (that you haven't found answers to by researching), calling your recruitment center and asking to talk to soldiers within the Royal Artillery or those who may have answers.
I too applied to be a Ceremonial Gunner however was medically deferred - though I'm currently in the process of a medical appeal.
All the best.

Latest Threads