Ceremonial Funeral for Lady Thatcher

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mercian9130, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not going to discuss the rights and wrongs re giving the late Lady Thatcher a ceremonial funeral. However, I have one query. Why was a union flag placed on her coffin? I thought you had to have served in a branch of HM Forces (either regular, part-time or national service) to be granted the honour. A politician, though they may have de facto control, is not the official CinC, which is the Monarch. Unless they have served are they entitled?
    Does anybody know the correct form?

By the way, good effort from all HM Forces there, especially the bearer party. Having acted in a bearer party, I would not have liked their job yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I suspect that someone gave their approval. It's not as if it was some random event.

3. I have to agree, they did a good job and were a credit to the forces. I hope they get suitably rewarded.

(From memory the bearers for Winston Churchill received BEMs......)

4. IIRC Denis Thatcher had a union flag drapped coffin, also Spike Milligan had an Irish flag on his, bit ungrateful seeing as the UK allowed him to serve in the British army.

5. Ditto to your last sentence.

Wikipedia states the following:
    Despite initial speculation that Margaret Thatcher would be accorded a state funeral, after her death in 2013, the government indicated that she would not receive a state funeral "in accordance with her own wishes"[SUP][not in citation given][/SUP].[SUP][6][/SUP] Instead, she was to be accorded a ceremonial funeral with full military honours at St Paul's Cathedral, as authorised by Queen Elizabeth II.[SUP][7][/SUP]

Shiny

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they took the oath to her maj and were also beknighted - she was lady thatch when dennis was knighted for services to marriage beyond the call of duty then she was kicked to the lords as a baroness.

I don't think there is a restriction to anyone having a flagged coffin

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grumblegrunt

and seeing as the state paid for it the definition is somewhat obtuse :)

8. The difference between a "State" and "Ceremonial" funeral is very little' At a State Funeral there is a Lying in state for a period of time before the funeral and the gun carridge is pulled by RN Sailors on foot - least thats what they were saying on the Radio the other day

There is no restriction over having a Union flag over the coffin

9. Grumblegrunt

is that cos there's no ships left?

10. Plastic Irishman eh........born in India and lived in England all his life.....still he did his bit and his books are still ****ing brill!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Thats so not true................

Her Majesties matelots guarding Britain coastline....

cutter.jpg

Makes you proud dunit..............

12. It's also a sophistry to allow the leading portion of the current government to have their day in the sun while saddling the hard-pressed taxpayer with the bill.

For all his partisan instincts, Churchill at least led the country through a period of existential threat during which the overwhelming popular sentiment was behind him. The late baroness inherited the baggage of several decades of appalling industrial relations and instead of knocking heads together to get them to play nice she threw the weight of government power squarely behind one side. Of course she was divisive - deliberately so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Half the cost was met by the Thatcher family, a lot of the other costs are prorata costs for the wages of Forces Personnel and Plod who get paid if they were there or not. So the cost in total would not be that great. So stop talking out your arse. The NHS spunk more money up the wall on a daily basis than was spent on the funeral yesterday.

• Like Like x 5
  14. The story behind why matelots pull the carriage is (mildly) interesteding and only started by "accident" and Queen Victoria's funeral. If you don't know the story the link is useful (though I believe there is some debate between the RN and the RHA as to why to horses bolted and if the sailors really needed to take up the reins so quckly):

Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth - Field Gun Carriage