Centurion with 120mm at Castlemartin range

Myself and a couple of mates were chatting away when one of them pointed out this little bit of information on Hansard:

The following types of tank have been used on the Castlemartin range since 1959.

British
Date
  • Centurion 20 pounder gun 1959–64
  • Centurion 105 mm gun 1965–72
  • Centurion 120 mm gun 1970–date

Note: Some minor trials were conducted with Chieftain 120 mm during 1966–67.

From the date one would assume its not a FV4004 Conway, and that the gun would be something like an L11. Of course that's just an assumption.

So can anyone shed any light on the subject? Or perhaps even have a picture or two to hand?

Not this abomination surely.

fv4005_stage2__002.jpg

A quick google revealed this. The photo provide by westendboy is also on the site.

http://www.arcaneafvs.com/conway.html

Conway was an attempt to up-gun the Centurion with a 120mm gun mounted in a high turret. Other attempts to up-gun the Centurion to 183mm were tried, firstly using a limited traverse mounting (no turret) and secondly using a lightly armoured fully traversable turret. This latter turret was until recently on the ground by the car park at Bovington, but has now been mounted on a Centurion hull, similar to the original configuation. I understand that Conway is currently in store at Bovington, although a model of Conway is on display.

Sorry guys, as I said in the opening post: In 1970-1986 period its unlikely to be the mid 1950's Fv4004 Conway. Especially as the Conway development was dropped in about 1954 (If I remember my paper work from Kew right).

Sorry, I forget that understatement doesn't translate well in text. I know of the L4.

I suspect that in one of the next issues of Hansard, Centurion 120mm was amended to Chieftain 120mm.

That was our first guess as well, but the "Note Some minor trials were conducted with Chieftain 120 mm during 1966–67." Just bellow the Centurion 120mm comment seems to indicate otherwise.

That was our first guess as well, but the "Note Some minor trials were conducted with Chieftain 120 mm during 1966–67." Just bellow the Centurion 120mm comment seems to indicate otherwise.

No, I would say it's perfectly consistent. The first three lines are indicating continuous, sustained usage of the ranges. The "minor trials" comment comes almost as an afterthought and, actually, illustrates rather nicely the overlaps that can occur during the change between equipment generations.

I fired my B3 gunnery practical in 1967 at Warcop on a firing point of 3 Centurions and 1 Saladin. My B1 was fired 2 years later at Hohne on a firing point consisting of 2 Chieftains, 1 Centurion and 1 Saladin. The Centurion crew managed to fire their muzzle boresight down range in front of a practice sabot!

HE117

LE
What he said...

I would think most of the firing at CM for the past thirty years has been Leopard..

No, I would say it's perfectly consistent. The first three lines are indicating continuous, sustained usage of the ranges. The "minor trials" comment comes almost as an afterthought and, actually, illustrates rather nicely the overlaps that can occur during the change between equipment generations.

But it'd still mean mistaking a Cent for a Chieftain, and then transposing the armament. Thanks anyhow.

What he said...

I would think most of the firing at CM for the past thirty years has been Leopard..

Interesting, if its mostly overseas users then there's a suggestion that the Swedish strapped a German 120mm to a Centurion as a test bed, so that might play into it.

But it'd still mean mistaking a Cent for a Chieftain, and then transposing the armament. Thanks anyhow.

Think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill with this, Listy. I see nothing more than a clerical error in this (eg false or misheard dictation, typing error etc) or it was miss-set at the printers.

Interesting, if its mostly overseas users then there's a suggestion that the Swedish strapped a German 120mm to a Centurion as a test bed, so that might play into it.

The only non-UK users were the Bundeswehr (Sept 1961 - Dec 1996).

I have checked through Svenskt Pansar (see below) but have found no evidence of such a beast. I can, however, offer you the UDES 19 which is a Marder with an external overhead mount of a 105 mm from 1976. Otherwise on offer is a Strv 103 S Tank test rig from 1959, which was a chopped about KRV chassis with a fixed 20-Pdr mount from a Strv 81 ie Centurion.

Lindström,Rickard O; and Svantesson, Carl-Gustav. Svenskt Pansar. Svenskt Militärhistoriskt Biblioteks Förlag, Stockholm, 2009. ISBN 978-91-85789-37-5

Latest Threads