Centralised medical records

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Purple_Emperor, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there a central computer system within the army which holds medical records or is it all down to the FMED documents in my P File. For instance, if I see a doctor on one base, and he makes notes on a system does that go into a central registry that can be picked up by any other military doctor?
  2. Look up Defence Medical Information Capability Programme (DMICP)

edited to add

and here
  3. Your Personal Medical Folder (FMed 4), which is seperate from your P file, follows you throughout your career. It should contain a complete record of all your intereactions with medical facilities whilst you are serving.

There is no central electronic record system, at least in the sense that I suspect you mean. Primary care facilities (Medical Centres and Sickbays) have a system called EMIS that they use for consultation records, prescriptions, etc., but it is only locally networked i.e. doctors, nurses and admin staff within the med centre. Printout summaries of EMIS go into the FMed 4 when you are posted. A new system is in the pipeline that will cover and connect everyone, but like most of these projects, I wouldn't hold your breath. (See above reply.)

Paper copies of certain FMed 4 inserts go to a central archive so that a replacement record can be assembled if yours is lost.
  4. No longer true, DMICP is a centralised database but only in UK at the moment. I'm told that it was going to go to Germany but the infrastructure can't cope with it and takes too long to connect. I'm sure someone else can give more information on that.
  5. You are right in that it is being rolled out, but DMICP is by no means everywhere in the UK yet, let alone abroad. A lot of army medical facilities still do not have it, or the other services. It is a long way from the ultimate aim of a fully integrated medical record system.