Central African Republic

chosen

Old-Salt
France sending 400 more troops in addition to 1,400 already there.

EU to send 500 troops to establish a safe haven within the capital.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The last poor buggers in Bangui managed to gap it the other day under the protection of what's left of the MISCA troops.

Wall Street Journal.

The thought processes of mobs are always interesting to study, those of involved people after the main event sometimes more so:
"Several bludgeoned a kitten found under the local imam's house "because it's a Muslim cat," as one explained."

Unsurprisingly, and far worse (unless you're in PETA,) the usual savage barbarity has not been absent from the current unpleasantness including rape of both sexes and all ages, mutilations and beheading of children.

With little fanfare the late arrival of the EU troops has started, (the first 5.5% have pitched,) though usefully they all seem to be French making planning of future ops a lot easier.

The EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission, Catherine Ashton seems to have been on some high quality Class A drugs when she said: "We have reacted swiftly to the serious crisis in the Central African Republic."

Russia to send more military trainers, equipment to Central African Republic | Reuters
Mentioned on the 'Russian Thread' about their military involvement in CAR HERE, the death of the Russian Journalists, the Russian response (or lack thereof) and a Reuters article on Russian involvement in the CAR including the supply of firearms.

Apparently now, other foreign powers are jealous of what Russia is doing in the CAR:
In one of its most extensive comments to date on the subject, Russia’s foreign ministry defended its actions in a statement against what it said was “a certain ‘jealousy’” by other foreign powers over Russia’s role in CAR.

“We believe this kind of position to be counter-productive, particularly in the current context, when constructive cooperation of all international ‘players’ and not competition or ‘zero-sum games’ is urgently called for,” it said.

“With the knowledge of a relevant U.N. Security Council committee we are planning to send to CAR an additional 60 civilian instructors and the second part of military purpose products.”
The UNSC agreed on the deployment of the additional 60 'civilian instructors' and asked that they liaise with UN peacekeepers there. The additional supplies of firearms was halted whilst it was confirmed where the original Russian shipment had ended up:
According to a confidential memo seen by Reuters, the Security Council’s 15-member CAR sanctions committee agreed last month to Russia’s request to send the 60 additional instructors, provided they coordinate with CAR’s U.N. peacekeeping mission.

But France, the United States and Britain placed a hold in August on further arms shipments pending confirmation that measures had been taken to secure the previous donation.
Obviously MoD RSS, or more exactly the Brit Ambo at the UN, has said their piece in the past: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/speech-protecting-civilians-in-central-african-republic.278677/

This popped up in my YouTube feed. Hands up, I had no idea about what was happening there until I saw the video. Re. the above, there are some Russian voices in the video. Possibly one English accent too but too short to be 100% confident. Interesting to see the Portuguese using the 60mm mortar (or equivalent) given our loss of that weapon.

Info about the operation is in the video description:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Can't see in the vid, but is that an M3 or M4 Charlie G ?
Impressed by the lack of backblast, (luckily I've never seen one from that angle,) but is the lack of water spray due purely to temp and droplet mass, or have I overlooked/forgotten something obvious ?
@bob_the_bomb - any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
This popped up in my YouTube feed. Hands up, I had no idea about what was happening there until I saw the video. Re. the above, there are some Russian voices in the video. Possibly one English accent too but too short to be 100% confident. Interesting to see the Portuguese using the 60mm mortar (or equivalent) given our loss of that weapon.

Interesting vid, thanks - looks very 1980's Angola but with better video.

There were some French speakers early in the video as well.

Cracking sense of irony in one paragraph of the video description:

The battle began when African rebels of the UPC (Union for Peace in the Central African Republic) launched a violent attack on the town of Bambari, some 400 kilometres from the capital Bangui, in a bid to seize resources and extort the local population by collecting taxes.

I know it sounds strange, but I've been to Portugal several times and if you listen to Portuguese in conversation, you would be convinced that they were speaking Russian!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I know it sounds strange, but I've been to Portugal several times and if you listen to Portuguese in conversation, you would be convinced that they were speaking Russian!
These Porks you're on about, were they standing around in the snow while wearing ushankas and drinking vodka ?
Or had you been hitting the poncha hard ?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These Porks you're on about, were they standing around in the snow while wearing ushankas and drinking vodka ?
Or had you been hitting the poncha hard ?
TBF he has a point, Portuguese as spoken in the motherland is sharper & clipped in comparison to Portuguese in the former Colonies has a much softer, smoother even liquid quality to it, this is most obvious comparing Brazil and Cabo Verde back to Lisbon.

If you hadn't heard Russiuan or Portugeuese before you could make that mistake, but the latin roots are very quickly noticeable.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
TBF he has a point, Portuguese as spoken in the motherland is sharper & clipped in comparison to Portuguese in the former Colonies has a much softer, smoother even liquid quality to it, this is most obvious comparing Brazil and Cabo Verde back to Lisbon.

If you hadn't heard Russiuan or Portugeuese before you could make that mistake, but the latin roots are very quickly noticeable.
Fair enough, my Pork is very south-Saharan.

Nao fas mal. Have another rum and dummy.

Can't see in the vid, but is that an M3 or M4 Charlie G ?
Impressed by the lack of backblast, (luckily I've never seen one from that angle,) but is the lack of water spray due purely to temp and droplet mass, or have I overlooked/forgotten something obvious ?
@bob_the_bomb - any thoughts ?
It did look like a Charlie G, based on that venturi...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Russian troops to join U.N. force in Central African Republic soon: ministry - Reuters
Russia is sending more troops to the CAR, this time as part of the UN mission to help 'stabilise the country':
Russia will in the near future send 30 military personnel to Central African Republic where they will form part of a United Nations mission to help stabilise the country, Interfax news agency quoted a Russian foreign ministry official as saying.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree in April on the despatch of the military contingent.

Latest Threads