Centenary of the real air force

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. My great-grandfather was an RFC officer. I rather suspect he was a complete bastard, but he was certainly a very brave one.

2. We didn't miss it,we were trying to avoid raising the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

But not the first attempts to fly by the British military - that dates back to 1863.

History of military ballooning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So maybe we should have celebrated the centenary 50 years ago...

Wordsmith

4. RFC was divided into two Wings, Naval and Military. RN started called the Naval Wing the RNAS, shortly before the outbreak of WW1 the RN declared RNAS was part of the RN, a constitutionally very dodgy act by the 1st Lord of the Admiralty, one WS Churchhill. However, it does mean that all naval airmen are true bastards because they were born illegitimately.

5. Does that mean the Navy wasn't/isn't an arm of the military then? Just wondering, like..

6. Unlesss you include the Fleet Air Arm.

7. Which is so called as it was formed as the Fleet Air Arm of the RAF in 1924 and then transferred to the Admiralty in 1939. I have wondered why they did not revert to being the RNAS at that point.

8. So..... it's all them bloody sappers fault.

9. According to the Air Historical Branch, the RFC was formed on 13 March 1912. Various other references online say April and a couple say May 1912. I guess someone will have to dig up the original Royal Warrant and sort it out.

10. My uncle who was a major in the war, and like all pongos was known to drip a bit about the RAF, told me that the RAF march past was a bit of music "pinched" from the Royal Engineers. Is there no end to the crimes of the crabs? :police:

11. In British English, "military" is an adjective for things relating to land warfare, eg the RAF Regiment could be described as the military branch of the air force. This is why the army has Royal Military Police and Military Secretariat.

Using it as a noun to describe the armed forces is an Americanism: one that, unfortunately, has become so prevalent over here that I've even heard the PM use it.

12. When is the Centenary of the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps?

13. Yep :nod:

14. Ubique! :)