Cenotaph etiquite

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sweatysock, Nov 11, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

37.0%
  2. No

5.6%
  3. He's a Labour MP, what do you expect

57.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My question is:

Is is disrespectful to trot up and down the Cenotaph steps. :?

Having just returned from my local rememberance parade with my son. I watched as the wreath layers done their part. When it came to the turn of my local MP, Eric Joyce. He 'Trotted up and Down' the Cenotaph steps. With him being ex-forces I would have though that he would have laid his wreath in a more dignified maner.

2. It's Eric Joyce FFS.....he's been trotting ever since a half colonel in the RMP slapped his head for him....allegedly.

3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Having done the wreath-laying bit several times I can tell you that our instructions were always to walk slowly up the steps, lay the wreath, step down slowly backwards (preferably without looking behind you - if HM can manage to do this perfectly at her age there's not much excuse for anyone else!), pause and then bow or salute as appropriate. Turn and march away.

"Trot up and down!" - sounds like a horse... Do explain further?

4. If that was the most disrespectful thing that that chippy swine Joyce ever got up to we'd have cause to be grateful.

If the trotting gave him a sporting chance of slipping and rendering that big mouth of his beyond economic repair then that cenotaph would have been put to extra use today.

5. Sweaty Sock, I take it you were at the Falkirk Parade then?

6. msr

msr LE

My MP turned up 15 minutes late - well he is a Minister with NuLab :roll:

msr

7. Yes it was at Falkirk. Were you there Spanners.

8. Nothing much to explain Scaryspice, he looked more like he was late for a train.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Off topic (slightly) but where is the Falkirk one held? I'm assuming the memorial at Dollar Park on the road to Camelon?

10. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Just so long as he didn't turn his back on the War Memorial before saluting/bowing? At least he turned up...

11. Yes Sixty that's the one. The parade starts and ends at the Town Hall.

12. Sixty, yes it's the one at Dollar Park.

Sweaty, Not there this year I was at the Garrison Church Tidworth. My folks were there.

13. That's the whole point.. HE WAS THERE. It seems some people are determined to find fault with everything that MPs do (I know it's not difficult to find things) but I think it's getting like The Fast Show on here "This week I will be mainly getting outraged"

14. Was it just my dodgy old age hearing, or did I hear someone shouting during the 2 minute silence? Sounded like some twat making some sort of protest.

If it was that, I hope they were stepped on smartly.

(Was watching on TV)

15. Yes, I was watching it as well, and clearly heard some shouting. Couldn't make out what it was about though. Ignorant tw@t.