Celebrity Walts

#1
Last night on The One Show there was a report about the Ugandan Asian refugees being housed in Tonfanau, the old RA and Junior Leaders camp in North Wales.
In it was a clip of Idi Amin in full military splendour - including a set of SAS wings. As I doubt the man had been one of THEM if have to assume he was Walting.
Has anyone else noticed similar 'oddities' in military (and I use the word loosely) celebrities? :soldier:
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
That Jimmy Saville bloke. There was a fecking great big picture of him at CTCRM Lympstone in the Galleyshowing him wearing a green lid. I never saw his time for the Tarzan Assault Course - walting fecker.

I'll give you jingle-fecking-jangle......

:wink:
 
#3
mysteron said:
That Jimmy Saville bloke. There was a fecking great big picture of him at CTCRM Lympstone in the Galleyshowing him wearing a green lid. I never saw his time for the Tarzan Assault Course - walting fecker.

I'll give you jingle-fecking-jangle......

:wink:
He did the course, in the days when Ted Kelland was a PTI there
 
#5
I did my jumps course with Idi, back in the day when it was a real jumps course. He was badged. I remember one time, we were skinning a sheep near the top of The Fan, had to eat the meat cold cos we were on hard routine. I threw the guts and pipes away and Idi jumped up and said ''hey man, thems the best bits them is.''

And proceeded to scoff the lot on his own. The image of his big white eyes bulging as he chomped on warm, wet liver will saty with me. I saw hard men retch that night. He was hard as nails.
 
#6
Jimmy was Awarded an honorary Commando Green Lid .

LINKY

Idi Amin just wore what he wanted and ate you if you didn't like it. :D


Edited to add that there in an advert for a Royal Navy watch at the bottom of the page. How ironic.
 
#9
SUNRAY_MINOR said:
Jimmy was Awarded an honorary Commando Green Lid .

LINKY

Idi Amin just wore what he wanted and ate you if you didn't like it. :D


Edited to add that there in an advert for a Royal Navy watch at the bottom of the page. How ironic.
If you read the wiki link, under 'Honours', you will note that, next to 'Royal Marines' is a link that tells you about 'Weasel Words'.
 

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
Jacob1650 said:
I did my jumps course with Idi, back in the day when it was a real jumps course. He was badged. I remember one time, we were skinning a sheep near the top of The Fan, had to eat the meat cold cos we were on hard routine. I threw the guts and pipes away and Idi jumped up and said ''hey man, thems the best bits them is.''

And proceeded to scoff the lot on his own. The image of his big white eyes bulging as he chomped on warm, wet liver will saty with me. I saw hard men retch that night. He was hard as nails.
He was going to be second man on the balcony but they didn't reckon it would take the weight, so he was first through the scullery door
 
#14
I thought Idi had reached the rank of RSM before he went, "fcuk it, I'm the man" and went for the top job. Anyway who needs wings when you can award yourself the VC?

Jimmy of the dodgy reputation who fixed kids back in the 70's did alot of that "now then now then" shite with the Corps.
 
#16
wet_blobby said:
I thought Idi had reached the rank of RSM before he went, "fcuk it, I'm the man" and went for the top job. Anyway who needs wings when you can award yourself the VC?

Jimmy of the dodgy reputation who fixed kids back in the 70's did alot of that "now then now then" shite with the Corps.
Jimmy's brother Vince was a hospital porter in Cardiff and when Jimmy did a visit a number of the RMR blokes used to look him up for a few pints
 
#17
Joe_Private said:
SUNRAY_MINOR said:
Jimmy was Awarded an honorary Commando Green Lid .

LINKY

Idi Amin just wore what he wanted and ate you if you didn't like it. :D


Edited to add that there in an advert for a Royal Navy watch at the bottom of the page. How ironic.
If you read the wiki link, under 'Honours', you will note that, next to 'Royal Marines' is a link that tells you about 'Weasel Words'.


LINKY


How's about that then?
 
#19
SUNRAY_MINOR said:
Joe_Private said:
SUNRAY_MINOR said:
Jimmy was Awarded an honorary Commando Green Lid .

LINKY

Idi Amin just wore what he wanted and ate you if you didn't like it. :D


Edited to add that there in an advert for a Royal Navy watch at the bottom of the page. How ironic.
If you read the wiki link, under 'Honours', you will note that, next to 'Royal Marines' is a link that tells you about 'Weasel Words'.


LINKY


How's about that then?
Googled KCSG as hadn't heard of it and it turns out it's a Papal order for being a good catholic (presumably 30 years undetected sex abuse). As a non-British order what's the score with using it as post nominals and the "Sir" prefix it comes with?
 
#20
broken_man said:
Googled KCSG as hadn't heard of it and it turns out it's a Papal order for being a good catholic (presumably 30 years undetected sex abuse). As a non-British order what's the score with using it as post nominals and the "Sir" prefix it comes with?
He's a Knight Bachelor in British chivalry which doesn't involve post-nominal letters in itself but does bestow the "Sir" (and the taps on the shoulders with Brenda's sword).

As for use of the separate "KCSG" as a post-nominal, it is a bit de trop but at least it's a genuine Papal knighthood (unlike a certain "Baron's"!).
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads