Celebrity Masterchef.

Ex RE Maj Dick Strawbridge went thru to the semi finals tonight,Out cooking Jennie Bond,who went thru the compertition with her name badge upside down.

you never know...maybe a Ex RLC chef might win the next one!

Ex RE Maj Dick Strawbridge went thru to the semi finals tonight,Out cooking Jennie Bond,who went thru the compertition with her name badge upside down.

you never know...maybe a Ex RLC chef might win the next one!
Was he demoted on transfer from the RSigs to the RE then?

Thanks for the corrections chaps...I was going on something I read about that programme he was on 'Scrapheap Challenge' that said he was a RE Maj...

An ex-RLC chef was one of the finalists in professional Ma-Chef last year...and one regularly is involved in the judging when they do the location catering shtick blond chap, can't remember the firm they use.

I may be completely wrong on this one but I am sure that the great Lt Col Strawbridge was once the CO of my old Territorial Army Signal Regiment, 32nd (Scottish) Signal Regiment (Volunteers), as I recall a man looking very much like him being our Boss of Bosses at one time.

Any (confirmation/no you idiot, you are wrong) would be appreciated.

Tam

i seem to remember watchin scrappy one wet sunday afternoon and when he was introduced as an 'expert' he was introduced as a REME rupert? Hmmm? (scratches chin)

I may be completely wrong on this one but I am sure that the great Lt Col Strawbridge was once the CO of my old Territorial Army Signal Regiment, 32nd (Scottish) Signal Regiment (Volunteers), as I recall a man looking very much like him being our Boss of Bosses at one time.

Any (confirmation/no you idiot, you are wrong) would be appreciated.

Tam
Don't know about that Tam but Dick Strawbridge was a Troop Commander in 3 Squadron, 1 Div Headquarters and Signal Regiment in the early 70's. I served in the same squadron at the time. He finished as a Lt Col Royal Signals.

Watching it now and he has produced a great sweet.

With a soup strainer 'tache like his, he's a natural - bound to win!!!

(I've probably just typed his kiss of death ho hum).

And a spot on bloke he is too. I seem to remember a third brother in there somewhere too.
Correct. During one of his many appearances on Scrapheap, he was team captain with two of his brothers, both of whom were serving officers. They contested under the name 'Brothers in Arms' and IIRC, they won that particular series.

Anyone have a link to the recipe for beef and gnudi ragu, looked fantastic but cant find recipe, have it sky+ so can go through step by step.
Found this on the net..

Tip: To make this dish go further, buy around 3.5kg stewing steak so that you can use 1.5kg for Monday and Tuesday's dinners.
To see the original recipe for John Torode's stew and dumplings, click here
Back to week three recipes

* 3.5kg stewing steak, such as beef shin or neck, diced
* 150g plain flour
* Salt and pepper
* 50g beef dripping or lard, melted
* 675g potatoes, quartered
* 300g onions, sliced
* 1.5 litre beef stock

For the dumplings:

* 300g suet
* 700g self-raising flour
* 300ml warm water
1. Heat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. Trim any excess fat from the diced meat. Take a large plastic bag and put the flour in it, seasoning the flour well. Drop the meat in the bag and shake it like mad to coat all the meat in the seasoned four.
2. Melt the dripping or lard in a casserole dish. Add the meat and onions and fry well, stirring all the time. Add the potatoes and stir.
3. Pour in the stock (or even water) and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to take up the flour and all the flavour. Cover with a lid or foil. Put the stew in the oven, reduce the heat to 140°C/gas mark 1 and leave it there for 3 hrs.
4. To make the dumplings, mix the suet, flour and some salt in a big bowl and stir in the warm water (this will make a heavy mixture). Roll the dumplings into balls about the size of golf balls.
5. Take about 100ml of gravy from the stew and put it in a saucepan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil. You will need to cook the dumplings in batches - so drop half of them in the pan and cook for 10 mins, turning so they cook evenly and puff up. Lift the dumplings out of the broth and keep warm while you cook the remainder. Reserve one-third of the stew. Let it cool and store in fridge for midweek meals
6. Either serve the dumplings in a bowl separately from the stew, or gently stir them into the stew before serving.

Dick cooked a apple & cheese pudding with possette in it,Terode turned his nose up at it,however Dick,being a studier of Army traditions, had done his homework. (He'd even bought his own apple peeler from home!)
He knows what people who've been on excersise like to eat & he catered to it.
Lisa played safe with her menu & still nearly ran out of time.
Plus did I see Terode helping out Dicks partner Neill with his cooking???...
Personally,I do not nor cannot see where these mamoth cooking tasks have value.Thank gawd this is a short series..I could'nt stand a longer one,it's so contrived & played up to,especially a certain blonde woman,who is,to me,dominating the show.