Ceiling collapse in primary school

Tyk

LE
I hope that any of the old asbestos based ceiling tiles that were common to schools and covered up had been removed or there could be a lot of problems as a result.
Messy, hopefully no serious injuries.

... I have no information on this but in the spirit of ARRSE, when I looked after schools...
Looks like a Victorian high ceiling school.
We used to install lower suspended ceilings with insulation.
Any asbestos should have been removed or noted and encapsulated 30 years ago.

The suspended ceiling grid may have failed
or
The original plaster ceiling failed and came through the suspended ceiling.

If a suspended ceiling has been put in any roof leaks go unnoticed until it is too late. Also condensation may weaken the plaster and it fails and falls. We always specified a chicken wire safety net (literally that) was placed below the plaster ceiling to catch any plaster that fell before it got to the suspended ceiling.

Edited to add:

The school is an independent prep school. Having worked on state and private schools, in my experience, private schools were not as well maintained as state schools :mad:

....now back to find another thread to walt on :)

Last edited:
Actually happened to me in a secondary school science lesson a (very) long time ago.

Chunks of plaster arrived suddenly on noggin from above. Leak in a flat roof over time.

Mild bemusement, no claret. Nothing to see here, carry on.

Scared the cr@p out of our teacher, mind.

Actually happened to me in a secondary school science lesson a (very) long time ago.

Chunks of plaster arrived suddenly on noggin from above. Leak in a flat roof over time.

Mild bemusement, no claret. Nothing to see here, carry on.

Scared the cr@p out of our teacher, mind.
....imagine the paperwork!!!!
Accident reporting is not just for the day

Whenever an incident was reported the first reaction was not "what are the injuries" "who was involved" "what was the damage"
it was:
"Is the paperwork in order, who signed off the work"

TamH70

MIA
Don't milk it.
BTW.
McBane?
The longer you remain silent, the worse it will become.
We are here to help.
Sort of.

Come on, MrBane can't be involved in every building-fabric-related disaster. He's only got one pair of hands. Not sure if he's got the full complement of fingers to go with them though.

Latest Threads