Ceasefire march in London

How about a simple "Blair Out" march? That would attrct millions!

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1214551.ece

Thousands to march in support of immediate ceasefire
By Terri Judd and Colin Brown
Published: 05 August 2006
The largest peace march since before the Iraq invasion is expected to descend upon Downing Street today demanding that Tony Blair calls for an unconditional ceasefire in the Middle East.

In a powerful demonstration of the groundswell of opinion across Britain, as many as 100,000 people are predicted to take to the streets around Parliament Square.

As Mr Blair was this week forced to concede that even members of his cabinet had "doubts" over his handling of the situation, protesters will deliver children's shoes to his London home to represent those whose lives have been lost in the 24-day conflict.

A letter bearing 40,000 signatures will also be handed in, calling on Mr Blair to work towards ending the "bloodshed and destruction unfolding daily".

Among many high-profile figures supporting today's march is the designer Katharine Hamnett, whose political T-shirts began a trend of sartorial protest more than 20 years ago. She has designed a special limited edition proclaiming simply: "Unconditional Ceasefire Now."

The Stop the War Coalition, which has organised the demonstration at "breakneck speed" in just seven days, said staff had been stunned by the strength of the response. Other organisers of the protest include the British Muslim Initiative, CND, the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and Lebanese community associations.

"The office has been inundated with telephone calls, emails, people walking inoff the street, offers of help of all kinds and donations from everyone from pensioners to peers of the realm," said the Stop the War Coalition spokesman, Andrew Burgin. "We have not experienced this outpouring of public anger against the British Government's pursuit of the Bush war agenda since the Iraq war of March 2003.

"We received a call from some ladies from Henley who had seen the leaflets in a Lebanese restaurant and said: 'We can't quite believe we are doing this, but we are going to come on your demonstration.'" Mr Blair has delayed a holiday in Barbados to carry out negotiations with other leaders, including President Jacques Chirac, on a United Nations ceasefire resolution. However, it appeared unlikely that a resolution would lead to the immediate ceasefire. Officials said it was hoped the resolution would be followed by a ceasefire, and that a multinational force would be sent in after a pause, but it could be some days before the fighting stops.

The letter to be delivered today will say that the signatories are dismayed that the British Government, almost alone, has not called for an immediate ceasefire.

"We therefore call on the Government to change its position and join the vast majority of the world's states, the UN secretary general and the Archbishop of Canterbury in calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire in Lebanon to save lives and prevent the destruction of that country," it continued.

Bianca Jagger, 56, a goodwill ambassador for the Council of Europe, said: "Israel's ongoing offensive in southern Lebanon and the subsequent killing and targeting of innocent civilians is in breach of humanitarian law.

"The UN Security Council has failed to condemn Israel for the massacre in Qana, of mostly women and children, as it has failed to condemn the deliberate killing of four UN observers. Furthermore, until today it has failed to call for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire. The Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Kofi Annan and everyone who is morally abhorred by the war, are all calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire. However, Tony Blair continues to support George Bush in giving the green light to the onslaught."

Marchers plan to congregate at Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, at noon before stopping at the American embassy on their way towards Parliament Square for a rally. Speakers will include Ms Jagger, the veteran peace campaigner Bruce Kent, and MPs from several parties.

The largest peace march since before the Iraq invasion is expected to descend upon Downing Street today demanding that Tony Blair calls for an unconditional ceasefire in the Middle East.

In a powerful demonstration of the groundswell of opinion across Britain, as many as 100,000 people are predicted to take to the streets around Parliament Square.

As Mr Blair was this week forced to concede that even members of his cabinet had "doubts" over his handling of the situation, protesters will deliver children's shoes to his London home to represent those whose lives have been lost in the 24-day conflict.

A letter bearing 40,000 signatures will also be handed in, calling on Mr Blair to work towards ending the "bloodshed and destruction unfolding daily".

Among many high-profile figures supporting today's march is the designer Katharine Hamnett, whose political T-shirts began a trend of sartorial protest more than 20 years ago. She has designed a special limited edition proclaiming simply: "Unconditional Ceasefire Now."

The Stop the War Coalition, which has organised the demonstration at "breakneck speed" in just seven days, said staff had been stunned by the strength of the response. Other organisers of the protest include the British Muslim Initiative, CND, the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and Lebanese community associations.

"The office has been inundated with telephone calls, emails, people walking inoff the street, offers of help of all kinds and donations from everyone from pensioners to peers of the realm," said the Stop the War Coalition spokesman, Andrew Burgin. "We have not experienced this outpouring of public anger against the British Government's pursuit of the Bush war agenda since the Iraq war of March 2003.

"We received a call from some ladies from Henley who had seen the leaflets in a Lebanese restaurant and said: 'We can't quite believe we are doing this, but we are going to come on your demonstration.'" Mr Blair has delayed a holiday in Barbados to carry out negotiations with other leaders, including President Jacques Chirac, on a United Nations ceasefire resolution. However, it appeared unlikely that a resolution would lead to the immediate ceasefire. Officials said it was hoped the resolution would be followed by a ceasefire, and that a multinational force would be sent in after a pause, but it could be some days before the fighting stops.
The letter to be delivered today will say that the signatories are dismayed that the British Government, almost alone, has not called for an immediate ceasefire.

"We therefore call on the Government to change its position and join the vast majority of the world's states, the UN secretary general and the Archbishop of Canterbury in calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire in Lebanon to save lives and prevent the destruction of that country," it continued.

Bianca Jagger, 56, a goodwill ambassador for the Council of Europe, said: "Israel's ongoing offensive in southern Lebanon and the subsequent killing and targeting of innocent civilians is in breach of humanitarian law.

"The UN Security Council has failed to condemn Israel for the massacre in Qana, of mostly women and children, as it has failed to condemn the deliberate killing of four UN observers. Furthermore, until today it has failed to call for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire. The Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Kofi Annan and everyone who is morally abhorred by the war, are all calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire. However, Tony Blair continues to support George Bush in giving the green light to the onslaught."

Marchers plan to congregate at Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, at noon before stopping at the American embassy on their way towards Parliament Square for a rally. Speakers will include Ms Jagger, the veteran peace campaigner Bruce Kent, and MPs from several parties.

Why don't they personally hand deliver their petition to Hezbollah?

The march organisers are asking marchers to leave childrens' shoes at the Cenotaph. Amazing how these people always find a way in even the best cause to besmirch Britain's war dead. How about dropping the Clarks' outside the Iranian and the Israeli embassies instead?

I thought that the 'Stop the War Coalition' was a coalition formed to stop the war in Iraq? Since when did they extend their remit to cover Israel and the Lebanon?

If I didn't know better, I'd suspect their motive was more to embarrass the government by jumping on whatever bandwagon was passing through than it was to spread peace and love around the world.

Why is leaving shoes at the cenotaph not a political gesture, yet reading out the names of recent British war dead is, resulting in arrest?

Northern Monkey said:
Why is leaving shoes at the cenotaph not a political gesture, yet reading out the names of recent British war dead is, resulting in arrest?
To be fair to them, nothing on their website mentions using the Cenotaph.

awol:

Then why does the BBC report that the stoppers want people to leave kiddies' shoes etc?

"A march involving thousands of people is under way in central London calling for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon.

The Stop The War Coalition asked people at the demonstration to put children's shoes at the Cenotaph in protest at the deaths of children in the conflict.

The protest followed growing Muslim unease at how Prime Minister Tony Blair was dealing with the crisis.

Campaigner Bianca Jagger said she backed the march's aims but not the anti-Israel views of some protesters.

March organisers said more than 100,000 people had attended the event, but police put the figure at about 20,000. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5246790.stm

Awol said:
I thought that the 'Stop the War Coalition' was a coalition formed to stop the war in Iraq? Since when did they extend their remit to cover Israel and the Lebanon?

If I didn't know better, I'd suspect their motive was more to embarrass the government by jumping on whatever bandwagon was passing through than it was to spread peace and love around the world.
also, if they aknowledge that the war is in fact a global one, arnt they also aknowledging that it cant be solved by the british government and infact they should be protesting against the governments of iran and syria, hezbollah, hamas, al-quida and the taleban

you cant have a one sided war.

Cabarfeidh said:
awol:

Then why does the BBC report that the stoppers want people to leave kiddies' shoes etc?

"A march involving thousands of people is under way in central London calling for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon.

The Stop The War Coalition asked people at the demonstration to put children's shoes at the Cenotaph in protest at the deaths of children in the conflict.

The protest followed growing Muslim unease at how Prime Minister Tony Blair was dealing with the crisis.

Campaigner Bianca Jagger said she backed the march's aims but not the anti-Israel views of some protesters.

March organisers said more than 100,000 people had attended the event, but police put the figure at about 20,000. "

It gets worse. From Yahoo News (my bold)...

Children at the head of the march sang: "Two, four, six, eight, Israel is a terrorist state."
Cabs... I hadn't seen the BBC report about the Cenotaph being defiled by the marchers, and anyway I didn't believe that any political movement would do anything so crass or self-defeating.

My mistake.

Awol said:
Cabarfeidh said:
awol:

It gets worse. From Yahoo News (my bold)...

Children at the head of the march sang: "Two, four, six, eight, Israel is a terrorist state."
Cabs... I hadn't seen the BBC report about the Cenotaph being defiled by the marchers, and anyway I didn't believe that any political movement would do anything so crass or self-defeating.

My mistake.

oh my god, could it actually be that the palastinian way of teaching hatred of isreal to children has arrived here in great britain!?

are we to have posters of martyrs in schools now :evil:

What's the point? The Celestial Navigator isn't listening to his own party, or even his own cabinet- what chance do 50,000 (or even 2 million) protesters have?

He's probably going to be even more confrontational now that its been pointed out to him that fcuking off to Cliff Richard's house the West Indies and leaving 2 Jags and his croquet set in charge of the situation might not be the best idea in the world.

It depresses me no end, to see our centotaph used as a political statement! Where I live, I am surrounded by the fallen of WW1 and I wish these memorials would be used for what they were designed, for "Remembering our fallen soldiers". Also, why are there no banners in these pics demanding hezbollah stop their crimes or why not demonstrate outside the Iranian or Syrian embassies also, they are supplying and fighting by proxy as well! How on earth can this mess be sorted out, when we have hidden agenda fanatics on all sides, so say speaking on the British publics behalf!! I am fcuking depressed and becoming very angry!

F

fozzy

banjotrooper said:
It depresses me no end, to see our centotaph used as a political statement! Where I live, I am surrounded by the fallen of WW1 and I wish these memorials would be used for what they were designed, for "Remembering our fallen soldiers". Also, why are there no banners in these pics demanding hezbollah stop their crimes or why not demonstrate outside the Iranian or Syrian embassies also, they are supplying and fighting by proxy as well! How on earth can this mess be sorted out, when we have hidden agenda fanatics on all sides, so say speaking on the British publics behalf!! I am fcuking depressed and becoming very angry!
Thanks Banjo - sums up my feelings really.
Incandesent at the Stop the West desecration of the Cenotaph.

Plague on them all

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why are non of these people out demanding that Islamic terrorism stops? Islamic terrorists are killing far more people than the Isrealis.

Why not demonstate against Syria and Iran? - those 2 countries could probably reign in Hezbollah and could probably go a long way to calming things down in Iraq if they wanted to.

I suspect the answer has to do with post colonial guilt. To the comfortable middle class the worlds faults are all down to colonialism and imperialism. The Isrealis are white and so by extention comfortable white middle class people feel guilty about anything they do.

They don't feel guilty about anything that Hizbollah do because they are not white and they should be viewed as victims of imperialism for which we (the white west) should make amends.

Same reason that you don't hear much protesting about mascres in Congo or Somalia. Nobody in the west feels guilty about it becasue white people are not doing the killing.