CEA is in the news again

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by fangy1, Sep 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably rising due to the increase in fees for some of these schools.

Half a billion? Expand the Defence Sixth Form College (which currently takes non-mil personnel ie CS and those not wishing to pursue a career in tot he forces anyway) in to a boarding co-ed facility for all of those kids whose parents wish to send them...

if not the parents can foot the full bill of sending the kids to the posh schools.

Spare spaces could be sold to the private sector to bring in cash.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

wasisface the tossbag son of lady thingy who owned welbeck college was trying to get a private school going using all that great work the army did to the place over the years.

shame they left and I do hope he failed but it would be funny if he had to take state kids in again

3. I went to a boarding school for a while and there were a few 'Army Brats' there. Their fathers were SNCOs or WOs. In retrospect it struck me that the 'boarding school allowance' allowed a degree of upward mobility unavailable in most other walks of life.

4. And stability in their education, an important factor in their future life.

5. This keeps being used but is there any evidence/research to prove it?

Are all the (by now hundreds of thousands) children who moved schools due to parents being posted all low achieving losers in life compared to the elite CEA funded super brains?

6. Social mobility?! We'll be educating oiks from the ORs next to achieve their potential in life as the state system has failed them!

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

8. So military brats are likely to have the same results as everyone one else so long as the school was good enough?

Not a lot of difference to everyone else then?

In the conclusion to that report is says:

Generally positive but some may not do as well as others? Not exactly world shaking results.

Ah well seeing as how you are all going to be based in the UK soon I suppose the whole thing will be just a historical foot note like having a raffle to see which couple of wives could come along on a posting.

9. The article, if anyone cares to analyse it, is full of errors and conflates what is paid to FCO, DfID and SOCA overseas personnel compared with the much lower rate paid to UK Service Personnel (additional to teh minimum 10% contribution). Numbers claiming CEA have reduced in the Services, but it still fills a niche role. We've continued to pay for our son at St Cake's even though I left earlier this year, because my new job is fairly mobile and the employer is prepared to make a like-for-like contribution (including the much-feared 'extras'). Nonetheless, it's chuffingly expensive and Mrs C now works to pay for it (and english-language day-school education for our daughter). But our son is streets ahead of his contemporaries who have gone to a 'bog standard' comprehensive school, and he doesn't have to play the round ball game, either, or aspire to having tatts...

PS: Where's Stacker? He foams at the mouth about CEA...

10. Stacker? He's gone. Interestingly he is now a 'social mentor' to St Cake's. By all accounts he has a young Master Crash as one of his students. Master Crash is now aspiring to be a supplier in the RLC and has had a couple of tatts done.

Funny old World.

Oh, could not help but notice:

Nonetheless, it's chuffingly expensive and Mrs C now works to pay for it (and english-language day-school education for our daughter). But our soneis streets ahead of his contemporaries who have gone to a 'bog stadard' comprehensive school, and he doesn't have to play the round ball game, either, or aspire to tatts...

Should have read:

Nonetheless, it's chuffingly expensive and Mrs C now works to pay for it (and English-language day-school education for our daughter). But our son is streets ahead of his contemporaries who have gone to a 'bog standard' comprehensive school and he doesn't have to play the round ball game, or aspire to tatts.

You are very welcome.

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

12. Me? Nope. Didn't care when I was being edumacted, didn't care when I was in, and don't care now.

Just find it strange that "it is better for the children" is taken as dogma and used as the reason for the whole system and it seems to have been based on not a whole hell of a lot of research and what research there has been is very inconclusive but because it is "for the children" it is a holy bovine that can not be disputed.