Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CDT Process

Are they all RLC?

Get fucked cuntybollocks, I don't know anyone who joined the RLC from basic who is an attention seeker, they are all other capbadges.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Welcome to ARRSE, where you can find genuine experts on every subject under the sun. In this case, you've just bumped into @Mr Tweedy

May I introduce you to another fine ARRSE tradition - the reversocycle.

View attachment 335062

Let me know when you'll like to start back-pedaling...

Wordsmith
I have nothing to back pedal on. Admittedly the process is, apparently, somewhat different to what I’ve seen before is his posting is accurate. Note that I have worked with reputable labs and been prive to bulk tests in similar industries.

This page seems very Good admittedly however a flaw seems to be the constant barrier put up to outside input. Believe it or not. Not everyone is a troll.

Surely a civilian doubting that so many service men are using illegal substances should be refreshing when public image isn’t exactly the army’s strong point at the moment.

So many? I'm not sure that 0.5% of the total population is so many. It depends on how many get tested. If CDT only tested 401 people that year that might indeed be a worry. But you need to put it into the perspective of how many other people are discharged per year, for what reasons, how it's changed since records begun, and what the baseline is for civvy street.

In other words, as any epidemiologist will tell you, without a denominator, your numbers are meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, after some very quick googling:

Irish Army is about 7300

10% tested so around 730

63 found with a problem so just under 10% of the sample

Assuming sample is statistically significant, just under 10% of the total Irish Army takes drugs

Now assuming cultural factors (and CDT results) are the same either side of the Irish Sea...a second Google says that around 21% of the UK population currently take Illegal drugs*.

If all of this data is accurate it suggests that the problem in the armed forces is around 50% of the base population.

Now there are a lot of potential errors here, but I'm struggling to see a significant problem in the armed forces in particular. In fact these data do rather suggest that something (either self selection bias in that druggies are less likely to join) or the risk of getting caught by a CDT is tending to reduce the rate of drug taking. Of course it's possible that the Irish CDT process is rubbish and that 50% of potential offenders are getting through, but I don't see much to support the OPs original statements.

Of course there's a wider question of 'what are the implications of 21% of the population taking drugs?' but that still isn't about an army-specific problem in the way the OP has attempted to cast it.

*British drugs survey 2014: drug use is rising in the UK – but we're not addicted

So, after some very quick googling:

Irish Army is about 7300

10% tested so around 730

63 found with a problem so just under 10% of the sample

Assuming sample is statistically significant, just under 10% of the total Irish Army takes drugs

Now assuming cultural factors (and CDT results) are the same either side of the Irish Sea...a second Google says that around 21% of the UK population currently take Illegal drugs*.

If all of this data is accurate it suggests that the problem in the armed forces is around 50% of the base population.

Now there are a lot of potential errors here, but I'm struggling to see a significant problem in the armed forces in particular. In fact these data do rather suggest that something (either self selection bias in that druggies are less likely to join) or the risk of getting caught by a CDT is tending to reduce the rate of drug taking. Of course it's possible that the Irish CDT process is rubbish and that 50% of potential offenders are getting through, but I don't see much to support the OPs original statements.

Of course there's a wider question of 'what are the implications of 21% of the population taking drugs?' but that still isn't about an army-specific problem in the way the OP has attempted to cast it.

*British drugs survey 2014: drug use is rising in the UK – but we're not addicted

It’s actually 8500 + approx 2000 reservists

It’s actually 8500 + approx 2000 reservists

Fair enough. So that's a result well below 10%. Hardly the evidence of a drug epidemic as posited by the now strangely silent OP.

Based on the harsh examination I had for my PhD, I very much doubt we are seeing a successful attempt in the making here.

Latest Threads