Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CDT Process

WhizKid89

Swinger
maybe you should take your pre-conceived ideas and stick them somewhere suitable. I'd have thought that someone doing research into anything would be researching it rather than arguing their own (ill informed) view on the subject, turns out I was utterly wrong

There, I've admitted I was wrong, your turn.
Which point have I tried to argue?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Which point have I tried to argue?

That drug use is endemic in the army.

Personally, I'm a career civilian, but at least one of the people you are arguing with in this tread is/was a long serving army medic who might just know a teeny-weeny bit about the subject...

Wordsmith

WhizKid89

Swinger
That drug use is endemic in the army.

Personally, I'm a career civilian, but at least one of the people you are arguing with in this tread is/was a long serving army medic who might just know a teeny-weeny bit about the subject...

Wordsmith

Can you quote me on this? Where I have STATED that i belive that?

Also I wasn’t aware that army medics had to be BSc’s in anything. No less in chemistry! How silly.

pkf72

War Hero
Again a flaw in policy. Most alcoholics are forced into help. As with any addict. They are not going to ask for help, as by nature, they would not recognise that they have a problem they need help with.

Having worked in the substance misuse area for many years ( both medical and criminal) I find your statement widely off mark.
Most people seeking support for alcohol addiction are not forced in to help but are rather self referrals as they recognise they have a problem.

Your statement suggests to me that you are going to fail your PhD!

WhizKid89

Swinger
Having worked in the substance misuse area for many years ( both medical and criminal) I find your statement widely off mark.
Most people seeking support for alcohol addiction are not forced in to help but are rather self referrals as they recognise they have a problem.

Your statement suggests to me that you are going to fail your PhD!

So what is the turning point? I did not mean forced by a third party. I mean that somewhere down the line something would have happened to push them in the direction of recovery.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Also I wasn’t aware that army medics had to be BSc’s in anything. No less in chemistry! How silly.

now you are just being a (word I probably can't use in this forum).
If you had any level of intellect your'd realise that the subject of chemistry isn't currently the subject of the discussion but how, when and even if anyone is offered help for addiction.

So what is the turning point? I did not mean forced by a third party. I mean that somewhere down the line something would have happened to push them in the direction of recovery.

and as predicted earlier the reverse-o-cycle is deployed.

WhizKid89

Swinger
now you are just being a (word I probably can't use in this forum).
If you had any level of intellect your'd realise that the subject of chemistry isn't currently the subject of the discussion but how, when and even if anyone is offered help for addiction.

and as predicted earlier the reverse-o-cycle is deployed.

How so is that reversing?

I haven’t tried to argue this point, I wanted first hand opinions. By no means was this a leading question. I am just trying to understand the figures in comparison to the navy and Air Force the army seem to be leading on this front.

The RAF and Navy have a large number of technical trades and have higher educational entry requirements than the Army. Approx 30% of the Army are Infantry. You can be recruited into the Infantry with a reading age of 7!
Add to that the number of recruits coming from lower socio-economic backgrounds where drug taking is a way of life. Have a look at House of Commons - Defence - Third Report. It's from 2005 but still relevant.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
until this is moved to a more suitable forum,

WhizKid89

Swinger
The RAF and Navy have a large number of technical trades and have higher educational entry requirements than the Army. Approx 30% of the Army are Infantry. You can be recruited into the Infantry with a reading age of 7!
Add to that the number of recruits coming from lower socio-economic backgrounds where drug taking is a way of life. Have a look at House of Commons - Defence - Third Report. It's from 2005 but still relevant.

Now we are getting somewhere. Thank you. That is actually something you can reference in terms of my original question.

In short the army is a smaller projection of wider society if you will.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Now we are getting somewhere. Thank you. That is actually something you can reference in terms of my original question.

If you do write an academic paper, be sure to reference ARRSE and send us a link. Academic papers of this nature always get a favourable reception here. This was a recent helpful review.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...l-structure-of-online-military-forums.276731/

Wordsmith

Of course it is you divot!:p

rehab44

Old-Salt

Aahhh, the cracks are starting to show, you didn’t last long ..next journo please!

Latest Threads