CDT failed, got booted, ways around reference?

The main dit is, prior to reading most of these responses.
It depends on the job you go for, no-one can determine whether they will or won't ask for a full background clearance or so C.V.
Best course of action, apply for multiple jobs that suit your dire interest, but expect a few backlashes and kicks out the door from many.

Only word of advise, work in improving your C.V, you've been backdated back to stage one. Work on updating a clear C.V, one that shows a positive upblink in your references.
Some employers, by assumability, over time will understand the level of commitment if you just worked on building a new C.V.

Otherwise, you'll find it rather daunting attempting to clear a new career.
Self progression, start low build yourself up.

The choices made are unfortunate, we've all made some bad choices, just you managed to get caught. Don't dwindle on the facts, work on improving.

I’ve just had a lad who works for me kicked out for cdt. He’s asked me for a reference, can I personally give him a character reference? He’s a good guy who has made a silly mistake

if your not a turbo-Mong and have some decent qualifications most employers will snap you right up and as described, if they bother at all, check with a referee that they are known to you- normally a tick box exercise - I've done several from JNCO to WO1 and a couple of officers. Normally pretty bland confirming that I know the individual - its not an APC promotion board. However, being as you did drugs and clearly knew the army's stance on drugs, we can't rule out that you are in fact a turbo-Mong, but that doesn't make you a bad person....

Only word of advise, work in improving your C.V, you've been backdated back to stage one. Work on updating a clear C.V, one that shows a positive upblink in your references.
Some employers, by assumability, over time will understand the level of commitment if you just worked on building a new C.V.
wise words - start with spelling and grammar...

I’ve just had a lad who works for me kicked out for cdt. He’s asked me for a reference, can I personally give him a character reference? He’s a good guy who has made a silly mistake
Of course you can.

I did it for one of my muppets who got hoofed about 8 years ago.

As a referee you aren't giving the opinion of the Army.

Employers will only confirm dates of employment if asked, not give any comment on the person's suitability of employment etc. This is because people have sued, and won, when an old employer has said that the person is no good and so on.
No one has to supply a reference so why bother confirming dates if you think the bloke is a ****?

Just be honest, if he’s done a good job then say so. If he takes drugs and it doesn’t effect him at work it’s your decision to employ him, it’s just that taking drugs and service life are not compatible.

Yet it’s perfectly acceptable to get shitfaced and be on the ranges or a driving detail the next day.

Just get a mate to write it for you. (One with responsibility -e.g. lance jack at the minimum).

Then for your next job no one will care anyway and will expect the reference from last employer.

last time I was asked to give someone a reference was a couple of years ago. The questions were
along the lines of

Did this person work in this role between these dates?
are you prepared to give this person a reference ?

for one I answered 'Yes' and 'No'
He didn't get the job
He should've called an Aussie.