CDS extended in post

It means that neither Sir Richard, nor Sir Johnathon Band (1SL) will make it to the top - despite both being tipped to do so. This is a stitch up of the highest order - it seems that No10 is desperate to muzzle those that speak their minds.

I hope Sir Richard and Sir Jonathon take solace that, whilst they've 'missed out' on the top spot, the prize they take away is the respect of those whose serve under them. A first for a few years I think. Many previous occupiers of the post are now making noise about how bad things are, but did little whilst they were in a position/ job to make a difference.

Seen. That's just blatant.

jim30 said:
...it seems that No10 is desperate to muzzle those that speak their minds.
Trigger.......You will be calling people Dave next.

IIRC he took up post in early 06.

Do they really expect anyone to believe it is in the best interest of the forces to have the same man in the top post for over 5 years?? :?

The way CGS has been treated genuinly makes me *ing angry...

Broon's just keeping things tidy until the next election. If the next PM wants to make a change in 2010, I'm sure he will.

0730 Radio 4 Interviw Saturday 12th July 2008
The Daily Telegraph has reported that General Sir Richard Dannatt may quit his role as the Chief of General Staff due to being by-passed by the Government for the military's top post of Chief of Defence Staff. Caroline Wyatt, our defence correspondent, explains to story. Author Allan Mallinson, who knows Sir Richard, and Labour MP Eric Joyce, a former army officer, discuss whether Sir Richard should be made Chief of General Staff.
Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/listen_again/default.stm

Skynet said:
The Daily Telegraph has reported that General Sir Richard Dannatt may quit his role as the Chief of General Staff due to being by-passed by the Government for the military's top post of Chief of Defence Staff. Caroline Wyatt, our defence correspondent, explains to story. Author Allan Mallinson, who knows Sir Richard, and Labour MP Eric Joyce, a former army officer, discuss whether Sir Richard should be made Chief of General Staff.
Can we discuss whether Joyce is one of the first to be strung up when the revolution comes?

I've just listened to the interview, Joyce comes over as a typical New Labour sleazebag who's unwilling to be pinned down on any issue. Great putdown from Allan Mallinson (good author and ex Brigadier) "Why are you worrying about a little political embarrassment when soldiers are being maimed and killed and we're trying to win a war?"

Victorian_Major said:
Skynet said:
Can we discuss whether Joyce is one of the first to be strung up when the revolution comes?
Wot's to discuss?

Shurely the answer is "No not even one of the first. We can get round to pondlife like him after we've done B'liar, Hoon, Swiss Des, Fat Boy Prescott , Derek Twigg and one or two otherCab'net members and junior ministers".

In the meantime, we could discuss whether Joyce actually has nuts to be strung up by.

The CDS is..... who? Is he subject to an ASBO or something or maybe he's a miner? Or talks very, very quietly.....

Wouldn't it have been nice if CDS had declined the kind offer of an extension? I am sure that he has been promised immediate ennoblement upon eventual retirement, but he should be careful - it is not this shower of sh*ts who will have nomination rights when the time comes.

Crazy_Legs said:
IIRC he took up post in early 06.

Do they really expect anyone to believe it is in the best interest of the forces to have the same man in the top post for over 5 years?? :?

The way CGS has been treated genuinly makes me *ing angry...
Bloody hell, 5 years? He's bound to get spammed for an op tour during that tour, just like the rest of us. :roll:

Did anyone else see this interview with Sir Jock Stirrup?

I've been out of the mil for a few years, so although I've read some of the views on here, I tried to approach his interview with an open mind.

I have to say, I found him to be very lacking in straight talking. Marr asked him if it was right that a traffic warden gets paid more than a private soldier fighting in Afghanistan.(In fact his reply was so bland he asked him the same question twice). His reply was along the lines of

" What is of more importance is that the independent pay review body's recommendations are honoured in full by the government of the day".

Now as an armchair punter sitting at home, that's not what I really need to hear. What happens if the Pay Review Body are out of touch with what is really going on?, they've clearly allowed the parity between military and civilians to become distorted. I really wanted him to shout out that the pay differentials were outrageous.

The whole interview was a series of questions followed by carefully chosen answers, that appeared to be carefully phrased so that he could not be quoted on anything controversial.

And one final point. He made reference to the Mil Covenant, and implied that the main breakdown was that the British Public sometimes did not appear to appreciate our troops efforts.....what an utter load of bollocks. The breakdown is a result of years of government underfunding and political interference. Shame on him for not saying it!!!

Latest Threads