CDS ACM Sir Stuart Peach to be top NATO military chairman

I enjoyed working for him as, compared to him I actually looked quite smart.

@jim30
'Scuse the ignorant question.
Does he "double-hat" the NATO job, or does this mean we have another, new, CDS shortly?

If the latter - who is your £5 on?

I fully echo Jim's points. He is fully trusted by No 10 and by Cabinet, by being truthful and speaking the truth. He's full of inexhaustable energy and doesn't stand on ceremony. He maintains his own network for political and military information and prefers reports from the frontline rather than the highly glittered turds that emerge days later from the staffing process. He has managed to continue to protect the defence vote (He was instrumental to shaping 2015 SDSR as VCDS) which saw many capabilities restored/retained. But the best thing is his scruffiness. A while back I was with him when he visited a base in the middle East. He was wearing MTP with white socks and Velcro strapped shoes, and treated with obvious disdain by the local dignitaries. He didn't give a fùck! (linked to his back and leg injuries).
That Jim is some bloke, I tell ya!!! A God amongst men, as far as ex-CS go.

:-D

chimera

LE
New CDS sadly.

If lucky then Messenger. If unlucky another sea cadet.
Could be Messenger, but Carter will be a strong runner, and traditionally (Houghton was a recent exception) the CDS has come from one of the Service Chiefs.

chimera

LE
I believe he did x 2
Don't think that is Stu Peach - ACM Peter Squire (who ended up as CAS) certainly left a Harrier twice in that way (and was short as well!)

D

Deleted 60082

Could be Messenger, but Carter will be a strong runner, and traditionally (Houghton was a recent exception) the CDS has come from one of the Service Chiefs.
Stu Peach didn't either. CDI then CJO then VCDS..

Will he be able to do the job efficiently seeing as how we, the UK have some soldiers, a few aircraft and a handful of ships? He'll possibly be overwhelmed by all the nations that have vastly superior numbers than we do. But I wish him well in his endeavours. :cool:

Apologies for thread drift, but any idea about the circumstances?

His wiki page comes up blank

I think it was when he was boss of 9 Squadron - Tornado on air test suffered a cross-drive clutch failure which led to an uncontrollable fire and the need to depart via the office furniture.

D

Deleted 145301

I think it was when he was boss of 9 Squadron - Tornado on air test suffered a cross-drive clutch failure which led to an uncontrollable fire and the need to depart via the office furniture.
Twice? Like a certain Irish members family?

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
26th February 1996: Crashed due to a Gearbox Faliure - forced to divert to RAF Laarbruch
crashed 8 miles south of Laarbruch, some 2 miles west of Kamp Lintford, beetween Geldern and Issum. Sqn. Ldr. Risdale ejected safely. W. C. Peach ejected safely,

Source: TORNADO

Not the same Peach according to the above (unless the page is incorrect).

Twice? Like a certain Irish members family?
Just the once, I think - if it's the incident I'm thinking of, the accident summary refers to a broken ankle and other 'major' injuries (and the need for a parachute which arrested descent a little more effectively.) The pilot was knocked out by his seat as he left the aircraft, but regained his wits in sufficient time to avoid landing in a crumpled heap...

26th February 1996: Crashed due to a Gearbox Faliure - forced to divert to RAF Laarbruch
crashed 8 miles south of Laarbruch, some 2 miles west of Kamp Lintford, beetween Geldern and Issum. Sqn. Ldr. Risdale ejected safely. W. C. Peach ejected safely,

Source: TORNADO

Not the same Peach according to the above (unless the page is incorrect).
I think the 'W.C.' is shorthand for Wing Commander. The aircraft was from IX Squadron, and Sir Stuart was the boss from 1994-96; while it is entirely possible that it isn't the incident I'm thinking of, there are a number of coincidences which make it seem plausible.

Also, if you look at the accident for 3 June 1987 on that site, you'll see that the crew of the Tornado was W.C. A.V.B Hawken and W.C. N.R.Irving; this refers to a rather high-ranking accident - another fire - on the TWCU, namely Wg Cdr Tony [?] Hawken and Wg Cdr Niall Irving (later described as the 'lantern jawed British military spokesman' by one US news source when he was one of those giving briefings during Desert Storm/Granby).

D

Deleted 60082

Just the once, I think - if it's the incident I'm thinking of, the accident summary refers to a broken ankle and other 'major' injuries (and the need for a parachute which arrested descent a little more effectively.) The pilot was knocked out by his seat as he left the aircraft, but regained his wits in sufficient time to avoid landing in a crumpled heap...
I stand corrected but I though I recalled him describing two incidents. I must be suffering form Alzheimers...again?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 60082

Will he be able to do the job efficiently seeing as how we, the UK have some soldiers, a few aircraft and a handful of ships? He'll possibly be overwhelmed by all the nations that have vastly superior numbers than we do. But I wish him well in his endeavours. :cool:
Apart from the US, which country would that be?

Latest Threads