Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

CDS ACM Sir Stuart Peach to be top NATO military chairman

D

Deleted 60082

Great news - NATO CHoDs have elected Sir Stu Peach as Chairman of the Military Committee:

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_146922.htm

An excellent choice - vastly experienced, cerebral, sensible and with have the epithet as the most untidy man in NATO. I've not bothered linking into Twitter - as ever it is full of the most vile and wholly inaccurate tweets about this impressive individual. He's been speed dating around NATO for the last couple of weeks, and it has clearly paid off.

Yes, he is grumpy and despises bureaucracy, excessive staff work and petty inter-Service quarrels, but if he were to bleed, his blood would be truly purple. Of course, this will spark off a 'Game of Thrones' type succession plan on the 5th floor in Main Building for Summer next year. I happened to be in there last week and heard the most egregious rumours (including that small countries in NATO wouldn't vote for him).

Anyway, well done Sir Stu - I look forward to seeing Euro-weenie chiefs getting the hair dryer treatment...

Anyone that succeeds in the light blue world that isn't "two winged master race" must be awesome!

I did have a good amount of face time with him when he was CDI, and he always came across as a shrewd operator.

Anyone that succeeds in the light blue world that isn't "two winged master race" must be awesome!

I did have a good amount of face time with him when he was CDI, and he always came across as a shrewd operator.

Me too - v impressive in that role. Also as a young and junior analyst, when i left, he made a point of thanking me for my work personally which made a massive morale diference. Top bloke.

Me too - v impressive in that role. Also as a young and junior analyst, when i left, he made a point of thanking me for my work personally which made a massive morale diference. Top bloke.
Very recently he sent a thank you note to a Int Corps Cpl - working for a colleague - for some reporting he did. Nice touch.

Very recently he sent a thank you note to a Int Corps Cpl - working for a colleague - for some reporting he did. Nice touch.

Its leadership - 2 minutes of his time, but the goodwill and morale that it makes to a junior person lasts for years. In very marked contrast to certain of his current peers.

Meerkatz will be along soon to tell us how this will ruin NATO and that they should have chosen him.

Followed by Stonker telling us that Peach must be a moron because he was promoted beyond Sqn Ldr, and perhaps NATO should be seeking his advice on senior leadership qualities.

What a refreshing change to read praise for a senior, very senior, officer - he must be a good chap.
He is. Doesn't suffer fools, doesn't like fuss, has the brain the size of a planet and is a very politically aware animal - absolutely essential in his current role and in his next post in NATO.

He is. Doesn't suffer fools, doesn't like fuss, has the brain the size of a planet and is a very politically aware animal - absolutely essential in his current role and in his next post in NATO.

Completely agree with everything you say. Best CDS UK has produced in the last 20-30 years.

Genuine question @jim30, for those like me with zero SA of matters Whitehall, what has he done that sets him apart?

He's a truly purple thinker. He's very clever, he doesnt bluster, waffle or give false platitudes. He's not afraid to bollock people, regardless of rank, if they deserve it. He sets high expectations, he has the highest standards and he is merciless to those that fail to meet them.

To those who deliver, he is a man who isn't a smoothly polished urbane diplomat - he is a leader, and someone who has considerable tenacity and stamina. Its often forgotten he ejected (twice?) from aircraft and I am told suffers considerable pain from the back injuries sustained. He looks after his people, has no airs and graces and most importantly remembers to say thank you.

At risk of sounding like I've got a man crush, I adore the guy mainly because when I was very junior and struggling to make my mark, he treated me like a human and made a young analyst feel like he mattered. I dont' forget things like that, and its in stark contrast to his peers.