CD Drive disappeared

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Andy_Caps_Commando, Aug 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another bone computer question from me. Whilst camping during the summer, my CD/ DVD drive stopped working and fails to show when i click my computer, and it will not play any dvds at all. I have tried various patches suggested from a computer magazine and none have worked.

So i bow to your experience. I have an Acer and running Vista. Everything was working fine the day before and now, bugger me, i can't get it to work.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Buy a new one. A bog standard DVD drive goes for less than a tenner nowadays.

Edit: (Unless it's a laptop)!

3. Desktop or Laptop PC?

Edit; Nice edit there Fugly!

4. Re-Install windows, it worked for me on my Desktop PC, could work on a Laptop as well.

5. Yep, it's my laptop, only had it 19 months.

6. It could of rattled loose during transit.

have you removed and reinserted it?

On the Acers I think theres a screw holding it in underneath.

7. IT Guy,

Many thanks, that did the trick, if only i had posed the question earlier, it would have saved me hours of head scratching.

Cheers buddy.

8. [edited after seeing the above but this is becoming a problem with itunes so is worth checking out if your drive is not working!!!!]

If you check your DVD drivers (Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager) you may notice a file 'GEARaspiwdm.sys'(right click drive and select properties then view the drivers on the correct tab). If so it seems to be a bit of a cnut and left me without a drive for a while. It is, apparently, used by itunes (downloaded an update recently by any chance?) to assist in CD burning but it has the side effect of stopping your computer speaking to the drive. I'm assuming your DVD drive still shows in Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Drivers albeit with a warning triangle. If so, do the following (courtesy of the GEAR website):

GEARaspiwdm.sys Manual Removal – 32-bit

Vista, Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000

WARNING: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
    We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Select Run... in the START menu, and type in regedit
    This will start up the Registry Editor.

Delete the following key from the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

If present, delete the following key from the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARSecurity

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key:
    remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key:
    remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key:

Reboot

Delete GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder

If present, delete Gearsec.exe from Windows\System32 folder

Delete GearAspiWDM.sys from Windows\System32\Drivers folder

Delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\Gearsec.exe value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

If present, delete the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Reboot

If this still hasn't worked let me know. I helped out a mate who had similar problems but there were some DVD drive specific problems which required work in the registry.

9. No problem, were do I send the invoice?

:wink: