CCTV help

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BossHogg, Aug 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have CCTV covering my car as I have one or two dodgy neighbours. I have it connected to a DVD recorder but it's faulty and keeps turning itself off when I need it the most. It's a bog standard black and white CCTV camera, is there anyway it can be connected to the computer for recording purposes, that way I can burn the evidence onto a disc if I need to and do away with the DVD recorder. If I can, is there any specific software that I need? Any help would be appreciated. :wink:
  2. One of the most common programs for reviewing CCTV is Mircrosoft Media Player, free as part of your windows bundle. It sure won't damage your computer or camera if you try a direct link, the camera might even be USB output anyway. It will then work just as well as a webcam.

If you get an image on screen, then just keep poking the buttons after that.
  3. The camera plug is not a USB type, it's round with 6 pins set in pairs on the bottom/left/right of the plug with a bar on the top to ensure it only plugs in one way. I wonder if there is an adapter to convert it to USB?
  4. Pretty sure that both RS and Maplin do a 6 way DIN to USB converter box for about £8. I-Catcher is pretty powerful and easy to use - anyway off to watch the neighbours. :D
  5. Try catspy not used this version but worked ok for me with my web cam admittedly. (My version was freeware not sure on this one)
  6. Thanks for all your replies, I'll work through them and see which one is best for my needs, cheers e_m