CCRF

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by stripeyboot, Sep 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may be digging up a previous thread. Could I have peoples opinion on the above topic.

My personnal opinion is that the weekends are misguided and that the training provided is unrealistic a best.

Picture the scene, if you will. Terry the Terrorist decideds he has had enough of the permenant sale at meadowhall and decides he will remove all of "last seasons colours" with a stick or 10 of Semtex.

The local TA units get mobilised, what job does the government, or anyone else for that matter, think that the TA's role will actually be???

Will we be picking up body parts???? I doubt it thinks I

Will we be putting out fires or consolling distressed relatives???? Very doubtfull for the first and im also sceptical of the second.

No, what i think will happen is we will be providing road blocks and crowd control and effectively providing the personnal for the jobs that the local authoities deem too menial for the emergency services. So what does the CCRF training reflect?? We spend all Friday and most of saturday morning booking in to a camp for accomadation (a role which until now has been deemed a job of the cheif blanet stackers SQMS/CQMS. So why when people mention the CCRF do they believe it necessery to produce miles ansd miles of red tape. Why cant they listen to the views of the guys and tailor training round realistic scenarious.

OK Rant over.... over to you :D

2. CCRF training, that'll be the thing I've managed to avoid for the last 2 years or so. When I was a crab they used to nominate blokes for what they called "Key point" guarding. They were pencilled in to stag on at power stations or dams or whatever was deemed "key point" if the balloon went up. Thats what I think the CCRF should be used for.

3. From your description it looks like the training covers the practice of the 'real-world' admin / duty of care horror to mobilise, concentrate, document / process / train and equip CCRFs.

Nothing new here, a lot of call-up type exercises for various roles over the last few decades have focused on this.

You're right, it is utterly mind numbing, boring and de-motivating for the troops involved. Whether it is the best use of soldiers' training time is open to challenge, although they must understand what they will meet on mobilisation.

Also, your assessment of the likely tasks is probably correct too. As regards collecting body parts, that sad duty might quite possibly involve troops, just as happened after Lockerbie.

4. I think the fundamental issue is no one knows what the incident will be, and therefore it is impossible to train for it. The CCRF is intrinsically reactionary (the clue is in the title) and flexibility must be key in the approach to training and mounting any future operations.

On numerous threads there have been issues of 'jack of all trades' raised but this is in my opinion the way forward for the CCRF (rightly or wrongly i'm not sure yet). The ability to 'adapt, improvise and overcome' has always been a mainstay of the British Army at a personal/section level. All thats happened is the need to adapt, improvise and overcome at a formation level to any given situation, be that flooding in Cumbria, foot and mouth or Terry the terrorist.

5. Whilst I agree that there is a requirement to train the admin side of things, you do not need an entire regiment of men to pass through a room to practice this. The admin side of things can in theory be done as a TEWT. Leaving the remainder to carry on with more worth while things.

As for I role of thstandard infanry soldier, it wouldnt be that difficult to work out the likliehood of certian roles. Put them in ti sime sort of order and arrange training accordingly

6. msr

msr LE

Has your respirator been tested in an RTS in the last 12 months?

msr
    P.S. Thought not...

7. Respirator Testing System, the 'phone box type tent, where they get you to nod your head etc.

8. "This is an airwave. CCRF wil use it as blah, blah"
    Yeah right I'm never gonna use it so might as well sit here and count how many times the intructor says gucci.

Then one of the fookers turned up on an ex. First noticed it when I heard "Hello B6 this is ex control..." 8O WTF?

And there it was half hidden by the stale bread for the egg banjos.

Me on my tod wondering if I was actually pressing the right effing button to reply.

Lesson learned.

As to what the jobs will be, not a scoobies. Suck it and see.

9. No point 'training' the blokes. Every point in holding a table-top with the hierarchy, inclduing the pSAO, civvy clerk AOs etc. SOPs need to cover comms, call-out procedure, swift 'mobilisation' of manpower, calling forward other units personnel 'linked' to the major unit, what if options including accomodation and feeding plans for 200+ pers in a TAC, transport, availability and swift access to CCRF likely-stores espec IPE but also the more mundane (tape, flouro bibs, 'motorola's etc) G1, G4 - there's a lot to do.

But training the blokes by making them sit on a bus for 12 hours 'just in case they're needed' isn't an achievement..

10. You cannot compare the training in an RTF, which has benefits that everything can see. My point is you have no need for 100 + squaddies to sit in a hoding area for hours on end repeating name/rank/number to eventually be allocated a bed space and alloted to a "notional" coy/sqd group. If the paperwork gurus really need personnal interaction then use 10 people and loop through ad infinitum. I agree that the mobilisation procedures need finalising and practicing but people need to question the affect that such mundane weekends have on retention.... especially since they feel the need to repeat the process and put people through the same drudgery yet again.

Oh, and NBC assistant instructor..... nuff said

11. But you have to start somewhere, Inf Battalions are not equipped to deploy as a tactical unit (they lack sufficient Command and Control assets). How do you expect the next level up do much more.

Before SDR I did more Bde exercises than I do now, which is ironic as I effectively have a Bde appointment and didn't then :wink: Ah the good old days, when we could just deploy the Bde on home defence ex's without all the paperwork and boring stuff.

12. correct - MOBEX = boring = no imagination on planning trg = duff Officers = poor retention = dull unit.

13. There has acctually just been a major CCRF EX up recently with all services involved and was acctually very realistic rather than the usual senarios. Actually involved actors, parts of aircraft including front of fuselage etc. The troops deployed were there for 2 main reasons. The infantry, granted, were used as grunts sweeping area for and locating bodies/wounded etc but there were signals units deployed who were there purley to provide comms for the airwave/ranger sets with and HF and VHF back up system. Answer is, in my opinon, depends which unit you are with and wether you have a trade that is deployable in that situation.

GB

14. Hear, hear, stabtastic. I have been saying this for some time to anyone who will listen. In my experience if you take a TA junior officer or SNCO, give them a dozen blokes and a clear set of orders they will perform as well as can be expected. We do not need to take a long drawn out weekend every year to prove this.

Also, IMHO, there is a gulf of difference between calling round the unit after a major incident and getting them to respond in a useful, timely and relevant manner and getting them to come in on a cold dark Friday night in November for a weekend which was shit last year and promises no better this year so they can qualify for 4 extra MTDs in the training year.*

It is the commanders and staff at all levels of CCRF who need to exercise without troops to prove the C3 systems including the links with the emergency services and the G1/G4 issues, chains and solutions.

*No, I don't understand how that's supposed to work either.