CCRF no longer voluntary?

My PASO has said that CCRF is no longer voluntary and is getting the whole unit to go through a mob ex for it, this just does not seem right to me (I did'nt sign up last time because of work commitments) can anyone shed some light on this?

A small cog in a broken machine

It has never been voluntary for some units e.g. 2 Sig Bde units.

Whats the problem thou, ur doing something for UR country not someone elses

M

Mr_Logic

Then don't turn up for it! Until you receive your mobilisation papers the TA remains voluntary. If you are really needed, you'll be mobilised.

CCRF relies on those who can turn up,turning up when they can,there is no sanction if they cannot attend for whatever reason.

We 'have' to turn out if given the call, but at the end of the day if you are (for instance) responding to flooding and you can't get to the TAC and the mobile system is overloaded, or your mobile battery has 'run out', what are they going to do?!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
As I understand it, any CCRF call-out will be a mobilisation, just a short-term one. As such, it will surely be an 'order' to those affected, and must therefore be obeyed?

Also, CCRF is only intended for REALLY serious responses - if such a thing happened, I would hope most strongly that ALL TA personnel would be running to their TACs as fast as they can.

wg100 said:
if you are (for instance) responding to flooding
Like OS mentioned the CCRF is only for very serious emergencies, we will not be mobilised for floodings, foot and mouth etc. They are still regular army tasks. We may be asked to volunteer but it won't be compulsary.

polar69, yes you can opt out working with the CCRF bn's but your unit does have other roles which you can't opt out.

We could opt out, but only after seeing the presentation about CCRF.

Big surprise no presentations, so no-one could opt out. :roll:

Like the others have said, if you get the phone call and can't get there then they'll call someone else.

polar said:
wg100 said:
if you are (for instance) responding to flooding
we will not be mobilised for floodings, foot and mouth etc. They are still regular army tasks. We may be asked to volunteer but it won't be compulsary.
If that is the case why, at a recent bde cpx, was the scenario a ccrf response to flooding in portmouth (why you would want to help them out I don't know...) in which my unit (TA) was 'involved' in the response.

wg100 said:
If that is the case why, at a recent bde cpx, was the scenario a ccrf response to flooding in portmouth (why you would want to help them out I don't know...). My unit (TA) was 'involved' in the response.
TA have been involved responding to floods up north, however the CCRF Bn's were not called out and the TA response was voluntary - the TA deployed some comms assets to replace the mobile phone system that had been taken out.

You mention that you were on a CPX, which maybe indicates your Sigs. If thats the case the CCRF role has never been voluntary.

^Not sure what the rules on that were. All none Sigs&Inf were asked to volunteer, I can't see how the system would work if the framework unit were also volunteers (meaning the Infantry had no choice).

We were also asked to sign up for CCRF at it's inception and being on the 'list' was voluntary. However, now we are being told it is compulsory as is attendance for it's training.

Meanwhile we have not been shown any official or unofficial paperwork to prove this, can anyone 'in the know' confirm that this is actually the case or just the unit trying to get 'bums on seats' to look good.

wg100 said:
Not sigs - Inf
With the exception of 4 Para, CCRF membership is not optional to officers/ soldiers in Reserve Infantry Battalions, as these 14 Battalions are the spines on which the CCRF is based.

Soldiers from other units in your district can volunteer for CCRF membership and in the event of CCRF mobilisation would be bolted on as extra reinforcements to the Battalion. However, it's not compulsary (although I believe that 2 (National Communications) Signals Brigade are all CCRF as well as that's prettymuch always been their role, even before CCRF).

CCRF is not compulsory but all members of a unit suitably qualified are included on the CCRF roll unless they specifically opt out. Obviously if the call out came the normal rules would apply. I would suggest that the situations that would warrant CCRF mobilisation would mean that the majority of people would want to "Do their bit"

paywog said:
I would suggest that the situations that would warrant CCRF mobilisation would mean that the majority of people would want to "Do their bit"
Obviously, the problem seems to be how CCRF has been portrayed to many people. I wrongly said earlier, that the CCRF would not be used for floods, it would be but it would take a disaster the size of Katrina for it to be used. Also 7 July also didn't use CCRF - so their's another clue as to what scale of terrorist attack is required.

Also the CCRF units are probably not the first port of call, it will still be regulars units.

I would bet that the mobex is not tied to the CCRF but rather to the fact that your unit is shortly to be visited by SPS Branch and your PSAO is using it to make sure all your personal documents and NOK are up to date, that you have signed for your ID Card (if you are entitled to carry it) etc etc etc. If it is a good mobex your kit will get checked as well and thats an opportunity to get those bits that you haven't been able to get changed cos your SQMS is a tight fisted storeman.

It is not about whetehr it makes you more at risk to mobilisation you will get mobilised whetehr the documents are right or not - it is designed to ensure your unit passes its external inspection - if it doesnt watch out you will be worse off collectively. Do the honourable thing - turn up!

As Polar points out CCRF is voluntary except for some units - specifically those in 2 Sig Bde who are specifically roled to UK Ops (not just CCRF), they do not have a choice as it is their role and some elements of those units in 2 Sig Bde are on 12Hr NTM!

Firestarter is also right, if you can not make the call on the day - for what ever reason - then your unit will simply go on to the next person on their list. The rules say there should be no sanction against you. As for being mobilised for CCRF, if anyone has looked into RFA 96 it doesn't really allow for proper provision for CCRF call out. The scheme is, as has already been mentioned, that you will get the call and be asked to turn in, if you can great, you are expected to tell your boss (which is part of the reason why compulsory emplyer notification of memebership of the TA now occurs) and ask his agreement to your release (which if there happens to have been a great bomb on your local nuclear power station I am sure he will be happy to allow) and you will be gone for no more that 7-10 days, not 7-12 months! Formal mobilisation may ultimately follow but until then it's good will and MTDs

Some units work on the basis that you sign on to the CCRF, others work on the basis that you willingly accept that you are in the CCRF unless you specifically sign off it, so it may be your unit has swapped over. CCRF is not like mobilisation. In my unit people have signed off for specific periods (eg July - September to look after kids from school or because of work such as Accountants in March - May).

The CCRF is purely to respond to some major incident on your home patch (it should be a major and significant one but equally it may be minor but where the Local authorities have asked for MACA help - and some examples have been given. Elements of the TA, not necassarily the CCRF, could also be used in Foot & Mouth, Avian flu etc but can not be an activitry associated directly with responding to the affects of Industrial Disputes like the Firemans strike - the TA can not be used in the front line for that (by law) - but can be used behind the scenes. Fire fighting, emptying dusbins (as in Glasgow years ago etc) is Regular Army responsibility).

As a member of the TA who is not even willing to help your local community in time of need (like NYC on 9/11, New Orleans or even London on 7/7) then why are you in the TA at all, but I accept there are difficulties with employers (I have one!) so if you are only available for just 1 month in 12 then sign up as being available for that 1 month and good on you!.

I can understand why you might not want to be mobilised, but not being willing to help your community...........

commsgirl said:
I can understand why you might not want to be mobilised, but not being willing to help your community...........
Thats sort of what I was thinking, some appear to not want to be mobilised to help their country but appear willing to go and support US foreign policy??

commsgirl said:
As a member of the TA who is not even willing to help your local community in time of need (like NYC on 9/11, New Orleans or even London on 7/7) then why are you in the TA at all, but I accept there are difficulties with employers (I have one!) so if you are only available for just 1 month in 12 then sign up as being available for that 1 month and good on you!.
If they need to call the CCRF out, work won't be working.

msr

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Army Reserve 28
polar Army Reserve 15
N Army Reserve 16