CCRF, Cumbria, Boscastle etc

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Lampard, Nov 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm currently studying a unit at College entitled "The Planning for and Management of Major Incidents". Sadly it's not a very detailed unit, but I've a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

1. Where can i find more information on the CCRF? (Whatever that is, Google returns nothing) Though, if what I've read from some replies is correct, it's not really relevant anymore. That said, I'd be interested in reading up on it, even if only for a short entry into the report I'm currently writing.

2. Is there currently an official route taken by a Gold Command in situations such as Cumbria, and worse, that denotes it is at a level that warrants the involvement of the Armed Forces? For example, this fire now covers an area over so many feet, or casualties have reached over a certain number, we are allowed to contact the Army, or similar? If so, what is it?

3. How often DO the Armed Forces get involved in incidents such as Cumbria and Boscastle? How often do reservists? Is it a case of the local TA unit contacting the relevant chain of command and offering it's assistance?

4. Regarding the RAF, is it a case of "The RAF has helicopters and support closer to the incident, they'll respond first", or is that a decision made by civilian responders?

Apologies for so many questions, but any responses would be great.

2. The publication JDP2-02 is the guide to how the armed forces become involved in MACA - follow the link here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=138481/start=20.html) and you'll find a copy of it.

In broad answer to your questions though:

1. The CCRF no longer exists. It was stood down some time ago.

2. The armed forces will become involved in one of two ways - firstly, where lives are at stake, and the local unit or individuals are best placed to save lives immmediately. This is only for a short window though. The second, formal approach where a "lives in imminent danger unless immediate action taken" approach is for the Joint Regional Liaison Officer (SO1 at Gold) will be asked by Gold Commander for military assistance. If the JRLO is doing their job, they will ask what effect it is that Gold wishes to achieve (e.g. move 500 people from A-B, get water from C-D etc) rather than 'what capability do you want deployed'?

The JRLO will then speak through the chain up to Ops Dir in London, who will in turn prepare a Minsub getting ministerial approval and then task HQ Standing Joint Commander (UK) - a theoretically 4* battlestaff, which is based at HQ LAND, to support CINCLAND or his appointed deputy, to handle force generation. They then pass the word onto Div / Bde level, and the troops / capability is deployed. This sounds cumbersome, but when it happens for real, I've seen turnrounds in less than an hour.

3. More often than you'd think in some cases, but only where life is at stake or we are providing a capability that the first responder does not have. Reservists will only be used in absolute extremis where lives are in danger. You will find the odd member of the reserves at an incident, but this is more luck that intent.

4. See my earlier point about capability - HQ SJC(UK) decides what the most appropriate capability is to achieve the effect and tasks assets accordingly.

3. For a slightly more tactical (silver) level brief on military support at a major incident, have a look at Appendix F of LESLP.

4. Both of these replies have been incredibly useful, thanks a tonne guys. :D

5. TONNE?

aaaaargh...

6. on a personal experience when CCRF was the new fad thing, my London based unit had 60 TA personnel call in to offer assistance for the 7/7 bombings out of a possible 80, it was never taken up but another co located unit RLC had a similar response,

on an individual level the CCRF was a good idea but in practice, getting an appropriate response from an out of date and structured reserve force bigger than a sqn is un attainable at present