CCF Officer promotion

Discussion in 'Officers' started by dmh44, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me some advice on timescales for promotion? I've been serving in the CCF for over 5 years at my College and completed both CCF Basic and KGVI advanced courses. I'm currently i/c our Army section.

We have over 180 cadets and according to my SSI enough numbers to warrant my promotion from Lt to Capt. Every time I push for it however I'm given another lame excuse - this time its length of service, previously not having enough cadets or too many officers.

I'm confident its not because I'm crap, but that our OC is an old boy who I'm sure is way out of his depth. I'm strugglnig to find some proof however to prove my point.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

As the renumeration package you get is paid for by the MOD and not your college, it is likely to be something to do with quotas. Ask to see what your college is established for. That way you might find that you are simply inhabiting dead man's shoes.

I also seem to remember that CCF rank is a little different to regular in that the top substantive rank is that of Lieutenant and appointments thereafter are, in effect, acting. Am I wrong?
  3. Speak to your contingent commander. He has the power to promote you. You are over due.
  4. Cheers for the replies. Unfortunately its the Contingent Commander who is the old boy out of his depth.
  5. Stand on his head 'til the bubbles stop.

Seriously, he is probably scared that you will prove far better than him, and he's holding you back.

There will be an establishment scale for officers, based on numbers in the det. Check it out.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The problem with any situation like this is that ultimately you have to confront some one (your Contingency Commander) and by asking for (acting) promotion you run the risk of being accused of being selfish.

If you don't mind being confrontational you could write to the CO tell him that you are keen to advance in the CCF and would like him to tell you, in writing, what you need to do to be promoted.

If he refuses or if his reply is tosh you can then seek redress through the Chain of Command. I'm not quite sure how the CCF fits into the CoC but I think that you come under the local Regional Brigade so you would be applying to the Brigade Commander.

Unfortunately you will probably not win any friends by doing this so I suppose it depends how much it matters to you.

You could also try your Headmaster (or whatever the top bod is called these days) A word from the HM to the CO along the lines of:

"Why is dmh44 still a Lieutenant, shouldn't he be Captain or a Colonel or something - better for school to have a more senior looking chap running the Corps you know; makes the mammas and pappas think he knows what he doing."
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your rank slide as a CCF officer is only for decoration any way.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

:D Ouch!
  9. You are absolutely correct. Regardless of the rank being worn by CCF (and ACF) officers, these individuals may only hold the rank of substantive Lt, thus as rightly stated, anything else is simply for show... Worth also noting that while some may carry rank from previous regular or even TA service, CCF officers are not required to pass AOSB or indeed any formal training (interview with RF Bde Comd is sufficient).

Edited for grammar.
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Not strictly correct cadet force officer carry paid acting rank so it does have some effect. Although anyone who does it for the money is in the wrong organization.
  11. in_the_cheapseats

Yes, that's why I made comment about quotas, checking the establishment and the fact that MOD does pay the wages. Acting rank is always paid.