Cbt Med Techs NOT QUALIFIED FOR FIRST AID

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by lunchy_bunsworth, May 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please tell me why Cbt Med Techs posted to the RAP of my unit are not qualified to give first aid to civilians? (not talking about good Samaritan here it is for an open day and they were to be part of the Med plan). Surely they must get taught something in their training?
    They tell me that all they need to do is another short course to bring their training in to line with civvie requirements. The two I spoke to said that they would pay for the certification. What with all the fat uncivil servants we have surely their must be some way to resolve this nonsense or are they telling me a porky?
    It is embarrassing for them and undermines their standing in the unit when the storeman in the QMs can do it but they can’t. I know that they have to pass the relevant course and all the H&S and clinical bow locks etc that goes along with it. It appears to the rest of us to be indicative of the poor day to day, non battlefield, non hospital support that the Army is now getting from the medics.

(DL and Fox, as a favour, if you do reply please don’t say I don’t understand and try to blame it on DCS 15 or MHUs, that said i am sure you could work a link somehow)

2. CMT is not a recognised qualification outside of the Armed Forces and therefor without the recognised qualifications a CMT would be pretty much dependant on a 'Good Samaritan' veiw of his or her actions.

CMTs are also at a disadvantage as they are usually only able to practice under the umbrella of their RMOs insurance, that is if he is prepared to write them up as competent!

For CMTs to work with civilians they require insurance and vetting, the latter in order to treat children.

3. Lwm,

Thanks for the speed of reply. The obvious question is why doesn’t the Army get the Cbt Med Techs qualified as civvies first aiders?
    I must only cost a couple of bob in the scheme of things?
    Surely the benefits would far out way this cost?
    The AMS seems to do a lot for doctors, our RMO, when we have one (little dig), is always away or doing some course to get better quals.

4. And therein lies the reason :wink: ........DRs Corps and DRs courses only :twisted:

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Get the CMT to do the poxy two day HSE thing and they should be ok!

Does it mean the nominated first aider sign in a hundred medical units are unlawful?

Solution, book the StJ's to do the med cover.

6. Perhaps if there is a tent or box that needs first aid the CMT's could take the lead.

7. I had to provide med cover for a corporate adventure weekend at a certain ATR in the South, I was informed in very not polite terms by a Lt Col (AGC) that CMT was not an option, I was TOLD to book St John or Red Cross. but Hey, they pay the bills and we still had the weekend free.

Moral to the story

If they don't think that we are good enough..FCUK EM but bear the grudge nicely when they twist their ankle and report sick, give them the old chestnut..sorry sir I would appear not to be qualified, wait there whilst I call a Civilian provider to assist. Glad to be out,,B astards all of em.

8. :roll: :roll: :roll:

See all the other comments L-B, no blame on DCS-15 or MDHUs this time...... :wink:

9. Thanks for all the above. Medman, that’s my point. You as a medics are drifting further away from being relevant to in camp support for the Army. As for the idea of using St Johns. My point is that I would much rather be treated by a Cbt Med Tech than an asthmatic fat old tart from St Johns who just happens to have passed a test 2 years ago. As with everything in the Army these days, no paperwork no party. Why does the AMS not cough up the extra couple of quid and get the Cbt Med Techs qualified for First Aid? The cost savings would pay for the test and the intangible benefits to the medics would be immense. For god sake you must be able to get your own examiner like the QTOs or something.

10. Just because someone has done a CMT 1 course or any form of clinical training, why do folk expect them to be proficient in teaching the subject?

Can AAC pilots teach rookie pilots to fly? Do class 1 Infantry private soldiers teach Infantry tactics? After all they have done the course.

To teach FAW you need to go and do the course. I 'm assuming CMT1's aren't taught this, aren't they being too busy taught paramedical skills and being assimilated to NHS trusts for secondment. They will be after all superparamedics. The only thing now is to put their underpants on the outside of their cbt 95, wahey! Super military paramedics.

Oh and register with the Health Professions Council too, obviously if they want to work and practise as a paramedic in the U.K

Peace. Out.

11. L_B, the AMS is one big machine whose main interest is Doctors, training & retention of, and Nurses, training & retention of, we "other" HPC registered professions come as a secondary thought and non-registered professions, well 8O .

The CMT cadre is in a shiit state of affairs at present, CG has crept up and mugged it whilst the heirarchy were asleep, we other HPC professions are to a certain point covered in respects to CG but CMT is left wide open to being amalgamated with other professions to bring up to CG standards :evil:

12. Cant blame the state of the CMT Cadre on either DCS 15 or MDHUs.
    Alot of the time you can blame it on the CMTs themselves, some dont see themselves as medics at all, but as tankies (432 drivers) or ambie drivers.
    The majority of blame however should fall with AMD for not pushing the CMT career progression, registration is the way ahead, but to be honest I feel that the majority of CMTs would let it lapse due to idleness or not being able to get clinical placements.

13. Just because someone has done a CMT 1 course or any form of clinical training, why do folk expect them to be proficient in teaching the subject?

Can AAC pilots teach rookie pilots to fly? Do class 1 Infantry private soldiers teach Infantry tactics? After all they have done the course.

To teach FAW you need to go and do the course. I 'm assuming CMT1's aren't taught this, aren't they being too busy taught paramedical skills and being assimilated to NHS trusts for secondment? They will be after all superparamedics. The only thing now is to put their underpants on the outside of their cbt 95, wahey! Super military paramedics.

Oh and register with the Health Professions Council too, obviously if they want to work and practise as a paramedic in the U.K

Peace. Out.

14. Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. However, I am not asking them to teach anything. All I want is them to provide first aid cover at our open day for the civvies and dependants. They can’t do this unless they have a civvie certificate to say that they have passed the civvie accredited first aid course. To use your pilot analogy, all pilots have to pass the civil aviation quals to fly then they get the Army flying training. All drivers pass the civvie HGV driving course then do the Army cross country training. It seems ridiculous that the Cbt Med Techs do it the other way around. Do the Army requirement and then don’t do the civilian bit. There can’t be that much difference.
    For fcuks sake there will be some old bat working in Asda or Tesco who is a civilian Qualified First Aider. I know who I would want to sort me out if I had an accident (if I were a civvie) and it’s not Mrs Jones who works on the fish stall!
    My point is what the fcuk is going on with the medics when it comes to providing a service at unit level and sorting out their Cbt Med Techs with, and no offence to anyone who has it, what must be a relatively simple course to pass for a Cbt Med Tech Class 1.

Medics, thanks for the replies so far (no DCS 15 appreciated) but there has to be a simple answer to this surely? Who do I write to (after clearing it with Bde) in the Medics to vent my frustration?

15. Could it have something to do with cost? ie pay for every single class 1 CMT to do a civilian first aid course that they might use once every blue moon.

S-D