Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question for those in the know:

When it comes to CBRN training during basic, what is the policy on wearing contact lenses? Do i have to wear glasses for the training or are perscription lenses inserted into the respirator? And if corrective lenses are inserted into the respirator, what am i supposed to do should i need to use it when im wearing contacts in the field?! I wear monthly contacts y'see.

Wearing contacts when there's CS kicking about can't be much fun so im in a bit of a bind as to what to do. I don't wear glasses and haven't done for years but is it worth purchasing a pair before i leave for the ITC?

2. Contacts need to be removed before you have to enter the RTF. You will be issued inserts for your ressy. Take a copy of your prescription with you.

3. Glasses will probably be a good thing to have generally, even if you don't use them that often. There will most likely be times where you don't have time between being woken and having to go off somewhere to put contacts in, so a pair of specs in a solid case will be a handy backup.

Don't stress too much about CBRN. I've known people get in a real panic about it-- true, it's not the best experience of your life, but it's not one you have to repeat all that often.

4. Not sure about rules wrt training (and this may only answer half your question), but, I have prescription lenses on mine as I was told I couldn't wear glasses when using a respirator.

5. When you are given a safety briefing before entering an RTF, one of the points which has to be mentioned is that there is a danger of CS leeching underneath contact lenses onto the unprotected eyeball, causing extreme pain & possible risk of permanent eye damage.
    For this reason it's strongly advisable to remove your contacts before entering the chamber, especially in a recruit training RTF period where you will probably be told to remove your respirator before stating number/rank/name etc. & exiting.
    For your own safety, I'd strongly advise you to comply with this instruction & either get some conventional glasses or when fitted for your respirator, state you need a prescription for corrective S10 lenses. If you choose to ignore the advice given in the RTF brief & the unthinkable happens (although it's a manageable risk), you may be unlikely to receive compensation for any eye injury therefore sustained.

6. Thanks alot for the info. I'll have to get myself on down to specsavers then!