CBRN decontamination- peelable paint

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by HectortheInspector, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. isnt this already in the system? I'm sure i've seen it in the kit magazine ?
  2. Not being funny..but if our unit has issues at times getting hold of 3 colour detector paper then I wont hold me breath before we get to use this on our kit. (If you knew where im comin from you'd appreciate why i'm a lil bit sceptical!)

Has anyone considered how to peel it off when its covered in persistent nerve? Service life when in use? How to test if its serviceable? Also how are they going to deal with crews being so complacent about contamination thanks to their "invincible" vehicle skins. Litigation if the paint/film isnt applied properly? Doubt you'd find many willing to sign their name off after applying a treatment that claims "this vehicle is protected".

That said it could be great if you knew exactly what you're going up against before you get hit by it, but I'd be amazed if they came up with a solution that protected against everything out there in a tactical environment. Will be interesting to see how it develops mind.
  3. we use something similar in decommissioning already??? :?
  4. Yep, certainly is, with NSN's and all. Last but one mag IIRC.
  5. I've heard about this stuff, but the only similar stuff we have at the moment is the paint currently used on vehicles in the 'stan/telic which is the easy peel stuff but that doesn't protect from CBRN stuff.

You'll know it's got that paint on it when you see it starting to flake off after 2 days! Makes for a half decent cam pattern on the wagons where it's peeled off in places to reveal the green underneath if I may say so myself though!
  6. My impression was that this is a proposed development of the existing 'peelable paint', mixed with clever chemicals to eat chemical agents, and that you can then peel off without having to scrub the whole vehicle down, or leaving it in a field to off-gas for a week.
  7. Therein lies the problem.."which chemical agents"? Sounds like relying on a tech thats waaaay too lightweight for a problem that is incredibly complex.
  8. Ahh, now that's getting interesting. Basically, if we are talking military agents, we are probably talking about blister agent (mustard gas) which is a thick oily liquid, and nerve agents (oily, or thickened to something like copydex). A lot of other agents are vapours that simply blow away.

Mustard and nerve will soak into paint, then happily give off vapours. Paint that actively neutralises chemicals would be a great advantage, especially if you could also peel off the contaminated paint and dump it separately.

The question is, as you say, is the tech too lightweight to deal with this yet? What happens if you can only deal with one family of agents at a time? Would the paint be able to deal with weird and wonderful non military industrial chemicals used in an IED?
  9. TCC's and TCP's, been with us for several months now, we had a version on EPLS about 5 months back, didn't seem to want to stand up to a good battering though.

Basically they've been developed to provide a semi permanent colour change.

And yes, TCP is designed to provide a decomtaminating coating by absorbing chemical agents.
  10. i reckon it's a government cost-cutting measure.

within 3 years they'll scrap NBC suits, and all patrols will be issued just with respriators and a portable paint spray gun. actions on a chemical attack will be ressie up and spray paint everybody. much cheaper!
  11. Paint is manufactured by Akzo Nobel. Their marketing department will give you the details.