Caveat emptor: Sierra GameKings

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Apr 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I discovered to my horror last night that, unlike the Match King which is a specific bullet design, GameKing is more of a branding, including both essentially soft point versions of the Match King and... boattail FMJ's.

So, if one is ordering e.g. 308-diameter 150 grain GameKings, one is recommended to make sure exactly which 308-diameter 150 grain GameKings you are talking about, otherwise you open your packet to reveal somewhat expensive FMj's instead of proper hunting bullets.

The same is also true for some of the Pro Hunter range. It is best to check the Sierra website beforehand and cross-reference it to wherever you are buying from.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I always order with the 4 digit reference number that is used in both my reloading software apps - you are not suggesting there are differences with the same model number I hope?

3. No, the model numbers are unique. The problem only comes about when ordering by name, i.e. brand + diameter + weight

having only ever ordered match Kings up to this point this was never a problem...

by the way, for cheap blatting fodder, Big Bullet co are exceptionally good value, but the weights can vary quite a lot (a sample of 10 nominally 123 grain bullets from them registered a spread from 122-126 grains.)