Cavalry Mess Kit

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rather Worried, Jun 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have bought a 14/20 Hussars Captain's mess kit for a ball next month as it looks very smart and it was cheaper than buying a tail coat.

I have taken the pips off it so that people will not be offended.

There is a nice looking eagle thing on the arm.

Should I take this off as well?

Thanks in advance
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Army surplus balls are good fun. Would you like to borrow some DMS boots and puttees for extra realism?
  3. No thanks, mess wellies and overalls were included for 250 quid!
  4. If it comes with an "I'm a trolling cunt who isn't funny but continues to dribble all over the place anyway" badge, you should probably leave that on.
  5. No need just cover it with an arm band :-
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I love you too big boy:=)
  7. my monocle just dropped into my cornflakes.... Why on earth would you purchase random mess kit (presumably not tailor made, for you at least, by Kashkets for that pocket money price?) to wear to a ball INSTEAD of TAILS???? You aren't bloody Fred Astaire - so unless you are going to an incredibly formal white tie ball, which requires the wearing of tails, then you should perhaps try investing in a decent Dinner Jacket? If you are going to a white tie Ball then tipping up in botched mess kit will single you out as a bit of a twat. Do you have any idea how to dress formally old chap? Perhaps a look at the Debretts advice on how to not look like a cavalry walting cnut would be prudent....

Also, just because 14th/20th became KRH 19 years ago, doesn't mean the old buggers aren't still around to point out your failings, of which I am sure that there are many.
  8. He thinks he's Jimmy Hendrix, leave him be. [​IMG]

Seriously, why on earth would you wear kit you have no connection with whatsoever? Sartorial tip, buy a dinner jacket and learn how to tie a bow tie. A James Bond style drooping bow tie is going to look far cooler than you in Kings Royal Mess Tin Repair Unit fig.
  9. Calm down Barby.It's an obvious piss poor piss take.

I hope.
  10. Yeah, it's one of those attention-seeking threads that are meant to stir up all the Uniforms Act-wallahs.

The OP is clearly bored.
  11. For 250 quid you could have bought a made to measure morning suit from Fields in Essex, you could hire one from Moss Bros.

Why bother to buy a uniform you never wore for real, in regt that no longer exists, in a rank which presumably you never held?

Is this a ball in aid of the hard of thinking?
  12. Good thing Zero Alpha is here to guide us.

Thank you, Zero Alpha. Thank you.
  13. Apologies, family regt and I haven't had my first G&T and cigarette of the day yet...
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Fooled again, I thought the OP was serious and wanted to look a right prat for some reason.