Cavalry Lance Photo Needed

Discussion in 'RAC' started by flyinghussar, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any kind person (yeh I know this is ARRSE) get me a good photograph of the center section of a Lance. ie. the shoulder loop and leather grip just below it. and maybe the way the pennon is laced to the lance itself. I have tried The QOL incase they can help but its a bit of a lame request as they are probably far too busy.
    I have the sharp bit at the front and the blunt bit at the back and all the bits in the middle though male bamboo seems to be difficult and Ash wood expensive so pine will have to do. This is for a display project within Military Circles. Any help welcome ta!!

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I don't know, but I know a man who does

QRL Museum Home Page

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

4. Thanks for the help chaps now I have something to work with. The company making faithfull reporductions of the lance heads and tails are called Hinnari and they are very well made for about $40. Now where to get Bamboo wonder if the QOL have any spare??

5. Used to get bamboo poles in the centre of rolls of carpet, doubt you do anymore...

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Any scaffolder in Hong Kong!

7. You are correct on both counts I have carpet on order and did all the showrooms none of them had seen bamboo poles for ages. Garden center I reckon. As Hong Kong to far away

8. Try landscape gardeners in your area. I am a woodturner and get a lot of my wood from a couple of local guys who will cut down/trim trees etc and keep good bits for me in exchange for a pen or a nice wooden turned bowl. They would also probably be able to get you some nice seasoned ash if you would prefer it.

If you would prefer ash, pm me some dimensions and I can ask around some of my guys.

PMU

9. Will do many thanks.

10. Many thanks I had seen this site and spoken to them and its a possibility though for small quantities they need £15 delivery for each pole. Not sure about that!!

11. Is there a botanical garden of some sort that you could ask?

12. Drop a grovelling request to the Defence Attache at one of the few friendly embassies e.g. Brunei or speak to the Gurkhas at Folkestone.