Cavalry-Best way to clean/polish saddle/tack?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Hat20, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents..have got my saddle/tack in sh*t order..soaked through and covered in mud after a belting cross country sesh.
    Problem is now I cannot get it back up to snuff as all lustre etc has gone and it looks sh*te.
    Have soaked/cleaned with Neatsfoot oil..saddle soaped..but still crap.
    Any tips on how to sort it would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Mounted Hat20
  2. Hose down with water when still wet (ie, don´t leave it until the mud and shit has dried). Scrub with brush to get all the mud off. Wipe off as much water as possible, then saddle soap with a very slightly damp sponge. Don´t use neatsfoot as part of this process. Don´t put it in a drying room. I´m assuming this is civvy tack - don´t do cross country if you are going on Queen´s Life Guard the next day.

Give it to your groom to sort.
  3. Oiled leather does not shine. Here endeth the lesson.
  4. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

No need to thank me I 'll get my man to do it .......zulu
  5. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Ohh Jorrocks, unreconstructed or what!

True though!
  6. Saddlesoap after its dry, brush off the mud first. Will take ages to restore though. Dont use neatsfoot though,as has been said its an oil, oh and loads of elbow grease. :)
  7. I find saddle soap only really does what it says on the tin - it's a soap not a restorer / maintainer. I really recommend something like Effax, or the Leather Balsam sold by Devoucoux.
  8. Id agree about Effax, probably the best, but id use that after using saddle soaping to fully clean anyway. Saying that depends how long the saddle and tack, were left without cleaning. Best to get too it starightaway i find.
  9. Sure, leather mostly hates being dirty. Oiling it comes after. Christ, it sounds rather dodgy saying things like that. I know about it for cleaning my tack. I mean, the horse's tack. Honest guv'.