Cav nicknames ??

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Goatman, Jan 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

scuse the intrusion......who the hell were/are "The Armoured Farmers" ? KRH ?
  2. Royal Hussars and 3 RTR were both known as the Armoured Farmers.
  3. 3 RTR, Oi's told...
  4. ? Devon and Dorsets
  5. Royal Anglian Regiment from the nickname the poachers
  6. Armoured Engineers for as long as i can remembered have always been called armoured farmers.
  7. In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ta ....what on earth is the lad in the picture doing - climbing into a WWF ring to take on some Brit ?!
  9. Not Royal Hussars (or 10th or 11th Hussars)- they are the Cherrypickers, never heard them be refered to as anything else.
  10. 3 RTR were the armoured farmers due the recruiting area of devon, Cornwall Somerset & Dorset.
  11. I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
  12. Gawd,never thought of that!Actually I felt sorry for the R Hs,being amalgamated with 14/20,(first hand experience in Höhne),at least they got their revenge with the trousers and beret. :p
  13. 4/7th RDG...........Smell on Wheels!
  14. Midnight...could you comment on your negative experiences with the 14/20H? Were the 10/11H (or RH) a more efficient and effective regiment? Just curious.
  15. Definitely 3RTR, where visiting brass were warned that if a trooper saluted and said "Good morning, me deear," there was no need to worry - that's just how it was done in the regiment. The West Country thing, you know.
    However, somewhere in the back of me mind is the nagging thought that the D&Ds were at sometime in an armoured role and were also known as the armoured farmers.