Cav nicknames ??

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#1
scuse the intrusion......who the hell were/are "The Armoured Farmers" ? KRH ?
 
#2
Royal Hussars and 3 RTR were both known as the Armoured Farmers.
 
#3
3 RTR, Oi's told...
 

Avre

Old-Salt
#6
Armoured Engineers for as long as i can remembered have always been called armoured farmers.
 
#7
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#8
TankiesYank said:
3 RTR, I's told...
Ta ....what on earth is the lad in the picture doing - climbing into a WWF ring to take on some Brit ?!
 
#9
Not Royal Hussars (or 10th or 11th Hussars)- they are the Cherrypickers, never heard them be refered to as anything else.
 
#10
3 RTR were the armoured farmers due the recruiting area of devon, Cornwall Somerset & Dorset.
 
#11
midnight said:
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
 
#12
Private_Pike said:
midnight said:
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
Gawd,never thought of that!Actually I felt sorry for the R Hs,being amalgamated with 14/20,(first hand experience in Höhne),at least they got their revenge with the trousers and beret. :p
 
#14
midnight said:
Private_Pike said:
midnight said:
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
Gawd,never thought of that!Actually I felt sorry for the R Hs,being amalgamated with 14/20,(first hand experience in Höhne),at least they got their revenge with the trousers and beret. :p
Midnight...could you comment on your negative experiences with the 14/20H? Were the 10/11H (or RH) a more efficient and effective regiment? Just curious.
 
#15
Definitely 3RTR, where visiting brass were warned that if a trooper saluted and said "Good morning, me deear," there was no need to worry - that's just how it was done in the regiment. The West Country thing, you know.
However, somewhere in the back of me mind is the nagging thought that the D&Ds were at sometime in an armoured role and were also known as the armoured farmers.
 
#16
Without doubt the Armoured Farmers were indeed the fine Tank Regiment 3RTR. I know I served with them in Barker Bks in Paderborn. Good guys no airs and graces and we cleaned our teeth in the morning with Hansa Pils (aka Hansa P1ss). 1420H - served with them in Berlin another fine bunch, bit stuck on the cav thing but then its regimental pride.

Efargee20
 
#18
Ragged Sapper said:
Yeah i thought it was the armoured engineers due to the plough
To the Infantry it was always the Devon and Dorsets - if a 432 counts as "armoured" !!
 
#19
Ambrose_Silk said:
midnight said:
Private_Pike said:
midnight said:
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
Gawd,never thought of that!Actually I felt sorry for the R Hs,being amalgamated with 14/20,(first hand experience in Höhne),at least they got their revenge with the trousers and beret. :p
Midnight...could you comment on your negative experiences with the 14/20H? Were the 10/11H (or RH) a more efficient and effective regiment? Just curious.
Never worked with RHs,but we used to share a ski hut in Oberammergau,with 14/20;All went well untill they took it over completely in 1981.Then without QDGs,to stop them,they started fighting at every opportunity.The next and following years they were banned from leaving the Pension,at night.The same thing happened when RRF came to ski in O´gau.I lived as a civvy in O´gau for 15 years,this is not 2nd hand info.

Last time I looked, the 14/20 homepage had 49 active members,QDG 450,bit of a difference eh?

Qustion answered?
 
#20
midnight said:
Ambrose_Silk said:
midnight said:
Private_Pike said:
midnight said:
In the CAV,world,it was 3 RTR,because they recruited,from the South.The R Hussars were mostly refered to as `Crap-hats`due to the brown beret,or Cherry Pickers;Apparently because they were in an orchard picking cherries,as a battle was going on.

Though,some wags say it´s because they went raping and pillaging,in a convent! :twisted:
I thought it was because of the cherry-red trousers they wore.
Gawd,never thought of that!Actually I felt sorry for the R Hs,being amalgamated with 14/20,(first hand experience in Höhne),at least they got their revenge with the trousers and beret. :p
Midnight...could you comment on your negative experiences with the 14/20H? Were the 10/11H (or RH) a more efficient and effective regiment? Just curious.
Never worked with RHs,but we used to share a ski hut in Oberammergau,with 14/20;All went well untill they took it over completely in 1981.Then without QDGs,to stop them,they started fighting at every opportunity.The next and following years they were banned from leaving the Pension,at night.The same thing happened when RRF came to ski in O´gau.I lived as a civvy in O´gau for 15 years,this is not 2nd hand info.

Last time I looked, the 14/20 homepage had 49 active members,QDG 450,bit of a difference eh?

Qustion answered?
Clearly and succinctly! Thank you, Midnight.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
YerDaSellsAvon RAC 3
R RAC 5
A RAC 8

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top