Cauliflower cheese

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just realised I have no flour in the house.Will an egg in the sauce act as a substitute?

2. I think that'll probably leave you with cheesy scrambled egg!

There's some possible answers here (link). Good luck!

3. I don't think that will get you the result you want. If you have no other flour types in the kitchen (pancake, cake flour, maizena, etc) you could grind (very fine) a few tablespoons of dry chickpeas and use that as a substitute.

4. The shops are open you could go and buy some :)

you can thicken a sauce using creamed potato, you can either do this by boiling a potato, mashing it and adding milk, then whisk it until it is the same sort of consitancy as a sauce...or...you can use instant mash potato flakes or granules which is easier.

use this mixture in the same way you would flour to thicken the butter and cheese mixture. it should result in a nice thick sauce.

Or, forget the sauce, boil the cauli until it's very tender. grate the cheese and slice an onion if you have one. put the cauli in a dish and sprinkle the rest on the top. Add any herbs you may happen to have, some black pepper is also good

stick it in the oven and you will have a lovely cheesy herby cauliflower bake with nice roasted onion. A great side dish or a main one if you serve it with some bread, rice or pasta

• Like Like x 2
  5. If you have Semoule (Semolina) or Maizena (Cornflour) is your cupboard, these may be substituted for flour - same quantities.

6. Thanks everyone.Went with the egg.We'll soon know.

7. Just the thought of egg and cauli instead of cauli cheese sounds gopping...

Cauli ommelette!!..Nah not for my taste buds!!

8. Anthony Squirrel Thompson will probably nick that recipe. :)

9. Equal parts Cheddar, mozzarella and Stilton, lots of salt and black pepper and partially steamed cauli. Mix well, bit of the cheese on top and under the grill for ten minutes.

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Seven years and this site still finds new ways to impress.

P.S. Egg? For a cheese sauce? FFS!

11. you'll get some toppers farts later on though

12. Couple of pickled eggs for afters then a follow through while trying to force a trouser cough for the missus. Guaranteed crowd pleaser.

13. So what's the sketch? We should be told.

As an aside, I had cauly cheese with my roast beef this afternoon, added a spoon of Marmite to the White sauce before I lobbed the cheese in. Bloody lovely.

14. [​IMG]

The finished article.My present wife announced it was the best ever cauliflower cheese she has ever eaten.
    I have now bought flour for future use.

15. Is your wife Chinese?

"Ah Rubbery".

• Like Like x 1