Cauld Blasts and Clishmaclavers

Cauld Blasts and Clishmaclavers

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah, such a charming locale.

I quite like that, he gives it a good go. OK the accent is a bit off, as he admits, but then my Korean is not exactly good.

I quite like that, he gives it a good go. OK the accent is a bit off, as he admits, but then my Korean is not exactly good.
Whoever didn't go for their messages because it was dreich, though. They would starve in Morningside.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
What interests me reading stuff like this is just the ability to comprehend it. I can but I wonder if I would have some years ago.

At 15, studying O Level English Literature, Shakespeare used to just swim on the page. About 15 years ago, just to see if I still had the application and aptitude for study, I took an AS Level in English Literature. Shakespeare had become readily readable.

Interestingly, one of the books on the syllabus was Wuthering Heights, in which one of the characters speak with a deep Yorkshire accent and his words are written thus. I was asked to read some out at one stage and really struggled - had it been written in straight English and I'd been asked to speak in a Yorkshire accent, no problem.

...yet reading this in my mind requires me to read in an accent. Then it works.

Anyway, this just in (courtesy of The Two Ronnies): In Glasgow, tragedy today as a man has been found dead on the back seat of a pay-as-you-leave bus.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
You poor green eyed Yorkie (dog, biscuit, choccy bar, you choose). Some explanation for you above!
Green eyed monster? is that why all of scotland used to come to the east coast for bank holiday weekend every year when I was a kid. I used to be sick of porridge and the smell of burnt ginger

Athens of the North - Hmm probably as its just as bankrupt. but athens has fewer drug addicts and acoholics but has more sunshine and a viable economy. Athens historically was a military power that won more than one battle without the constant aid of the french - which to be honest is probably why they lost so much. at least in gifting you the glory of the english language you were able to go forth and populate the world. the TV would not have been invented in the jockish language as nobody would have understood the manual.

I'm not sure why they are insisting on a keeping dead language alive when like Ireland the second language of scotland is probably POLISH.

Poetry only works when people actually understand it.

Still at least my grandparents moved south or I could have been born a weegie

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Green eyed monster? is that why all of scotland used to come to the east coast for bank holiday weekend every year when I was a kid. I used to be sick of porridge and the smell of burnt ginger

Athens of the North - Hmm probably as its just as bankrupt. but athens has fewer drug addicts and acoholics but has more sunshine and a viable economy. Athens historically was a military power that won more than one battle without the constant aid of the french - which to be honest is probably why they lost so much. at least in gifting you the glory of the english language you were able to go forth and populate the world. the TV would not have been invented in the jockish language as nobody would have understood the manual.

I'm not sure why they are insisting on a keeping dead language alive when like Ireland the second language of scotland is probably POLISH.

Poetry only works when people actually understand it.

Still at least my grandparents moved south or I could have been born a weegie
I understand now. It is your angst at not being born in the Great part of Great Britain. Don't worry, it is something you will never get over! :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I understand now. It is your angst at not being born in the Great part of Great Britain. Don't worry, it is something you will never get over! :)
In that you are unfortunately correct as I was born in that there londinium somewhere amongst the french sounding suburb of Barnet (or at least that is what they are doing to make it sound posher now) so am unable to claim to be a true yorkshireman with my deplorable scots irish heritage.

Cor blimey guvnor.....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And I was born in RAF Hospital Changi! Now there is something that should be hidden from my life, the shame, my father couldn't find an army hospital?!! :)

And I was born in RAF Hospital Changi! Now there is something that should be hidden from my life, the shame, my father couldn't find an army hospital?!! :)
I take it the Japs had left by then?!

I can understand all of that quite well. I also recognise quite a lot of scandihooligan words..

Barry / Barra / Braw...Bara Bra...in Swedish is 'Very good/well'.

Loads more...

Du riechst - You smell...German - 'Reeking'

Bairn / barn etc etc

You Oatmeal ethnics don't have a dialect... you're just living of the leftovers of previous conquerors !!

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can understand all of that quite well. I also recognise quite a lot of scandihooligan words..

Barry / Barra / Braw...Bara Bra...in Swedish is 'Very good/well'.

Loads more...

Du riechst - You smell...German - 'Reeking'

Bairn / barn etc etc

You Oatmeal ethnics don't have a dialect... you're just living of the leftovers of previous conquerors !!
I am surprised at you SM, going down the sad Englander route followed by others on this thread. Not your usual style.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
ah so you're trans as well then

that explains the librarian fetish

Latest Threads