Caught for downloading music

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pompey, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An American woman was ordered to pay £108,000 after six record companies sued her!!!

She shared 1,702 songs by downloading them without permission and then offered them online through a file-sharing acount.

Sky News link

:omfg: ^^\'
  2. This has actually been happening more and more recently, although this is obviously quite a big fine. It's illegal and they are cracking down on the public who use these file sharing tools. Because the filing sharing programs are not, per se, illegal, but those who share protected media using them are doing so illegally.

Stay in school kids. ;)
  3. There must be millions of people using them and from what I've seen they have prosecuted a few thousand and alot settle out of court (this one being the biggest fine) - seems a bit of a gamble to use it but the chances of being caught and getting nabbed seem very slim. (Just trying to reassure myself)

Edited for piss poor spelling
  4. No doubt it's not likely that you'll be caught. Depends on your usage though. Do you download a couple of choice songs a month? Or do you download a couple of albums a week? I'm sure the companies are only hitting the big offenders at present.

Definitely sends out a message though - If it's illegal it's bad! :D
  5. If I were to use such a file sharing site I would only use it once a month for a dozen or so tunes...ahem. :)
  6. My mate has a mate, who has a dog with a mate that uses such a piece of software around 2-3 times a week. However, has been doing so for a fair while now and has clocked up around twice the downloads that woman has.

Recon the time is coming that the dog's mate should be seriously thinking about removing such software?
  7. In her position, she would be better off declaring herself bankrupt, in order to cheat the companies out of the fine, they make shit loads of money and ripping us off in the process.

Hey in USA if she is a Bankrupt and on welfare she gets free medicare ! :D get all those treatments in before she becomes discharged.

every cloud has a silver lining
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I've got a mate who's got a dog who's mates owner uses a proxy account to download. Let them go seek him in Patagonia. My mates dogs mates owner that is.
  9. Err, if I were to download albums like a bastard, then I would be looking at a fine of at least half a million because I could have at least 70 or 80 Gigs of music and around at least 50 Gigs of recently released movies.

Good job I don't download illegally, isn't it???

Piracy is a crime-do not accept it!

10. Maybe if these companies did not charge such hefty prices to begin with, then P2P would be as big as it is now.

11. £7-8 an album is not something that makes me think twice, though. I have no problem paying this for albums.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Fcuk em, they've been ripping us off for years so now its payback time. The chances of getting caught and prosecuted are so small you can ignore it.

Perhaps if they had a decent pricing scheme and we got value for money then the music industry wouldn't be in such a mess.

Remember the great CD rip off, it cost half as much to make a CD than a tape but cost 50% more to buy. No sympathy for them at all.

I love the 'sends a message' quote, no it doesn't it simply shows them up for the greedy self serving tossers that they are.
  13. Record companies for years have tried to explain the cost of CDs by saying the media costs so much.

In that case, why does buying an album off iTunes cost as much much as buying a CD and why does it cost twice as much for us as it does for the USA?

I've never downloaded anything illegal from anywhere (it says here) and I won't start now (no really) but if I was to start (which I haven't) I'd probably say something like if they considerd fair and uniform pricing for legal downloads I'd only do legal downloads (which I do now anyway).
  14. Because now you have more leeches in the chain and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

15. Any idea how your mates' etc does that? I have a mate whose company's firewall won't let him access Limewire, emule, Morpheus, etc, and is getting sick of hearing Johnny Cash's Orange Blossom Special.

(He tells me that he can't upload graphics to ARRSE either. Hanging's too good for these IT people).