Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Sorry Tink have I disturbed your morning snooze, I'll catch you later on during your afternoon snooze, or maybe this evenings snooze...
Tink in the conservatory.jpg

Poppy

LE
The wife has been away in Barcelona since Thursday, every night I've woken in the middle of the night to find this one snoring her head off next to me. The good thing about her is she doesn't get wanderlust and just stays asleep until I get up.
how's Arry?

Some of you may have seen my earlier posts relative to the difficulty faced in adopting a cat in Massachusetts.
I wanted a kitten as I thought one would integrate better with my two 10 year old cats. Massachusetts shelters do not like to give kittens to people in their 70's (EARLY 70's) .
Thanks to a tip from a cousin I found a nice shelter in Brunswick, Maine. I drove there Saturday, picked out a ginger female 13 week old kitten, a volunteer interviewed me, filled out a form and I had a kitten.
Lovely people, unlike some in Massachusetts who act like you want kittens to feed to your pitfalls. Even nicer the adoption fee was $200 (normal range of fee here). As I was writing a check (or cheque) out the young lady asked for a photo ID. I was fumbling for my license (in the wrong slot in my wallet) I asked if a military photo ID would be OK. She said "you should have told me you had a military ID" redid the paperwork and charged me $130 instead of $200.
Driving 350 miles round trip took about 8 hours total (slower on the way back after dark, country roads you have to worry about moose on the road). I was tired but worth it.

The kitten is now named Pyewacket. Piccies below, one with the shelter lady, the old fart with grey hair in the other picture is me.

Pyewacket1.jpg
Pyewacket2.jpg

She gets along well with Hobbs and Wombat , my 10YO cats, but is still skittish around me. Sunday I did not see her until I was going to bed when she popped out from behind the couch. Today she approaches but does not yet want to be held. She accepts having the others groom her. Last night I went to the bathroom around 3AM and discovered she was curled up on a bed in another bedroom with Wombat.
She makes a 350 mile drive and $34 worth of gasoline worth it.

As to the adoption fees here, kittens range from $200 to $300 here. It seems high until you realize that the shelter has paid for vet checkup, 2 rounds of distemper shots, rabies shots, FIV test, Feline Leukemia test and spay/neuter surgery.

BTW - If Brunswick, Maine sounds familiar to aviation sorts on her; until 10 years ago it was home to NAS Brunswick where the USN had squadrons of P-3's to patrol the Greenland-Iceland-UK gaps for subs transiting the gaps. Thanks to the US Congress the squadrons at NAS Brunswick and NAS South Weymouth to moved To Jacksonville, Florida despite the fact that the change adds about 2800 miles to the round trip to the gaps and sharply reduces time actually on patrol there.

Edited to add- As I posted this Pyewacket, for the first time, hopped on the table and sought pats and scratches around her ears. Her fur is very soft.

pinback2001

War Hero
Some of you may have seen my earlier posts relative to the difficulty faced in adopting a cat in Massachusetts.
I wanted a kitten as I thought one would integrate better with my two 10 year old cats. Massachusetts shelters do not like to give kittens to people in their 70's (EARLY 70's) .
Thanks to a tip from a cousin I found a nice shelter in Brunswick, Maine. I drove there Saturday, picked out a ginger female 13 week old kitten, a volunteer interviewed me, filled out a form and I had a kitten.
Lovely people, unlike some in Massachusetts who act like you want kittens to feed to your pitfalls. Even nicer the adoption fee was $200 (normal range of fee here). As I was writing a check (or cheque) out the young lady asked for a photo ID. I was fumbling for my license (in the wrong slot in my wallet) I asked if a military photo ID would be OK. She said "you should have told me you had a military ID" redid the paperwork and charged me $130 instead of $200.
Driving 350 miles round trip took about 8 hours total (slower on the way back after dark, country roads you have to worry about moose on the road). I was tired but worth it.

The kitten is now named Pyewacket. Piccies below, one with the shelter lady, the old fart with grey hair in the other picture is me.

View attachment 421478View attachment 421479

She gets along well with Hobbs and Wombat , my 10YO cats, but is still skittish around me. Sunday I did not see her until I was going to bed when she popped out from behind the couch. Today she approaches but does not yet want to be held. She accepts having the others groom her. Last night I went to the bathroom around 3AM and discovered she was curled up on a bed in another bedroom with Wombat.

As to the adoption fees here, kittens range from $200 to $300 here. It seems high until you realize that the shelter has paid for vet checkup, 2 rounds of distemper shots, rabies shots, FIV test, Feline Leukemia test and spay/neuter surgery.

BTW - If Brunswick, Maine sounds familiar to aviation sorts on her; until 10 years ago it was home to NAS Brunswick where the USN had squadrons of P-3's to patrol the Greenland-Iceland-UK gaps for subs transiting the gaps. Thanks to the US Congress the squadrons at NAS Brunswick and NAS South Weymouth to moved To Jacksonville, Florida despite the fact that the change adds about 2800 miles to the round trip to the gaps and sharply reduces time actually on patrol there.

Edited to add- As I posted this Pyewacket, for the first time, hopped on the table and sought pats and scratches around her ears. Her fur is very soft.
So happy you eventually got your kitten, and she looks a beauty. Well done buddy

Nice ending David, she's a cute little thing -
for a Ginger :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Massachusetts shelters do not like to give kittens to people in their 70's (EARLY 70's) .
I can appreciate that they might not like youngsters like you having cats before real maturity is reached. :muhaha:

Well done though DavidBOC. I'm glad that kitten finally found you, just a shame you can only have one Like at a time..

Thanks to a tip from a cousin I found a nice shelter in Brunswick, Maine. I drove there Saturday, picked out a ginger female 13 week old kitten,

Pyewacket has a very engaging expression - I feel an instant affinity for her. Good looking young lady, she appears mature for her age.

Brilliant news. She's gorgeous and I'm so glad they're all getting on well.

Catscolded.jpg

Londo

LE
The general view is that ferals can't be domesticated beyond the age of a few weeks
Most of the cats I've had were ex ferrells and normally 6/7 weeks is the cut off point between a sweet loving cat and something a bit wilder . However I've also had older ferrells that ended up as lap cats after many years and unfortunately within the last few months of their lives .

Most of the cats I've had were ex ferrells and normally 6/7 weeks is the cut off point between a sweet loving cat and something a bit wilder . However I've also had older ferrells that ended up as lap cats after many years and unfortunately within the last few months of their lives .
When do a kitten's eyes open?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
notwhoiam The NAAFI Bar 203
happybonzo Travel 2
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 20

Latest Threads