• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Funny how foxes throughout the rest of the UK aren't routinely dismembering cats & leaving the remains on the owners' doorsteps/car roofs, sometimes with days between the body & head being placed there.

To be fair, it is known that animals can invent behaviours and then pass them on to their offspring and near neighbours, resulting in a localised "cluster" of activities that differ from the rest of their species. Thus it is plausible that one or more foxes have learnt to prey on cats in the Croydon area, and that others nearby have picked up the habit.

As for the placement of body parts - what do we actually know? There are supposed to be c.500 cats killed. Is there even a consolidated set of data that accurately describes the fate of each cat? E.g. just how many were placed on car roofs, etc - all of them, or just a couple?

The problem is the fallibility of the owners reporting all of this - it doesn't take much for "routine" cat deaths or disappearances to be emotionally blamed on a mystery killer. Lets face it - 500 dead cats over three or four years in South London could easily just be "normal" road kill statistics (e.g. sister alone lost three in one year, Wimbledon area). Foxes wouldn't even have to be predating them - picking up road kill is normal behaviour and could easily account for those particular "sightings".

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
To be fair, it is known that animals can invent behaviours and then pass them on to their offspring and near neighbours, resulting in a localised "cluster" of activities that differ from the rest of their species. Thus it is plausible that one or more foxes have learnt to prey on cats in the Croydon area, and that others nearby have picked up the habit.

As for the placement of body parts - what do we actually know? There are supposed to be c.500 cats killed. Is there even a consolidated set of data that accurately describes the fate of each cat? E.g. just how many were placed on car roofs, etc - all of them, or just a couple?

The problem is the fallibility of the owners reporting all of this - it doesn't take much for "routine" cat deaths or disappearances to be emotionally blamed on a mystery killer. Lets face it - 500 dead cats over three or four years in South London could easily just be "normal" road kill statistics (e.g. sister alone lost three in one year, Wimbledon area). Foxes wouldn't even have to be predating them - picking up road kill is normal behaviour and could easily account for those particular "sightings".
According to SNARL (South Norwood Animal Rescue Liberty), the mutilations have been caused by a straight edge (not many of those in nature apparently), parts have been placed on steps/car roofs/doorsteps with a few days in between. Also, you don't get too many foxes carrying plastic carrier bags around in which to place body parts.
It also seems that this killer has been targetting fox cubs and rabbits as well - Home - SNARL - South Norwood Animal Rescue Liberty

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
fox.jpg

Not my cat. Pictures from my former wife. She usually walks daily for a bit of exercise and one day a cat started following her (I suspect with a bit of coaxing and pats). My former wife spends a lot of the day on her porch (weather permitting) reading, checking email, writing etc. The cat began to spend much of the day on her porch napping with breaks for pats, drinking cream, eating sliced turkey etc. She began think she had acquired a cat. One day a couple were walking by and said "There's Sebastian, this must be where he goes" Sebastian belongs to a couple who live a couple of blocks down the street. They both work and it appears the cat wanted affection and treats during the day. Since this discovery Sebastion still comes by to visit and nap and still gets his daily ration of cream. I got our cat when we divorced but I suspect a cat may be in her future.
sebastian1.jpg
sebastian2.jpg

Last edited:
Not my cat. Pictures from my former wife. She usually walks daily for a bit of exercise and one day a cat started following her (I suspect with a bit of coaxing and pats). My former wife spends a lot of the day on her porch (weather permitting) reading, checking email, writing etc. The cat began to spend much of the day on her porch napping with breaks for pats, drinking cream, eating sliced turkey etc. She began think she had acquired a cat. One day a couple were walking by and said "There's Sebastian, this must be where he goes" Sebastian belongs to a couple who live a couple of blocks down the street. They both work and it appears the cat wanted affection and treats during the day. Since this discovery Sebastion still comes by to visit and nap and still gets his daily ration of cream. I got our cat when we divorced but I suspect a cat may be in her future.

BWB's colonial cousin? :D

Not my cat. Pictures from my former wife. She usually walks daily for a bit of exercise and one day a cat started following her (I suspect with a bit of coaxing and pats). My former wife spends a lot of the day on her porch (weather permitting) reading, checking email, writing etc. The cat began to spend much of the day on her porch napping with breaks for pats, drinking cream, eating sliced turkey etc. She began think she had acquired a cat. One day a couple were walking by and said "There's Sebastian, this must be where he goes" Sebastian belongs to a couple who live a couple of blocks down the street. They both work and it appears the cat wanted affection and treats during the day. Since this discovery Sebastion still comes by to visit and nap and still gets his daily ration of cream. I got our cat when we divorced but I suspect a cat may be in her future. View attachment 354090 View attachment 354091
That’s very similar to the situation with Jarvis. His official human lives five doors down. I just leave a window open for him now (saves getting a key cut) and he comes and goes as he pleases. It’s a good thing I go away a lot with the AR, or his other slave would probably never see him.

According to SNARL (South Norwood Animal Rescue Liberty), the mutilations have been caused by a straight edge (not many of those in nature apparently), parts have been placed on steps/car roofs/doorsteps with a few days in between. Also, you don't get too many foxes carrying plastic carrier bags around in which to place body parts.
It also seems that this killer has been targetting fox cubs and rabbits as well - Home - SNARL - South Norwood Animal Rescue Liberty

The truth behind the South London cat deaths.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
notwhoiam The NAAFI Bar 199
happybonzo Travel 2
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 20