Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Went round to see Mum earlier (or rather, yesterday...) & she'd had her friend from the local cat shelter round to pick up some stuff to sell/raffle/use.
Apparently she's overwhelmed with kittens - mostly due to stupid owners who "didn't know their cat could have kittens" & thus failed to have their pet "fixed".
Anyway; I've been without my own personal moggies for nearly 10 years now, so I've asked Mum to arrange a time when I can arrange to take two or three off their hands - one's unfair & two's a gamble on both surviving, so three's favourite.
I'll take all toms if they're available, mainly because they're more menkle than wimmin cats & thus more mutually entertaining.

...I'll take all toms if they're available, mainly because they're more menkle than wimmin cats & thus more mutually entertaining.

So far, I've always found male cats to be more interactive. Not that females aren't friendly and tactile, but they always seem a bit ...distant.

Or is it that male cats bond better with blokes; and females with women? Any Arrsemaidens care to comment?

So far, I've always found male cats to be more interactive. Not that females aren't friendly and tactile, but they always seem a bit ...distant.

Or is it that male cats bond better with blokes; and females with women? Any Arrsemaidens care to comment?

Possibly the latter, as all three I've had have been toms & Mum's two survivors always seem pleased to see me are toms.
Nutters of the World (human & feline) unite!

I think it very much depends on the cat, they all have different personaities.

Furby, Bella and Missy, littermates, all 'brought up' the same to begin with, all very different.

Furby without doubt the most loving, affectionate cat I've ever had, she's never growled, hissed or swiped at me and is full of cheek and personality. Outoing and likes to meet people, any visitors are carefully scrutinised and anyone working in the house is supervised, as are the hedgehogs. Holy terror with other cats, Jeeves and Scud are twice her size and weight but they walk around looking over their shoulders waiting for her to launch herself at them. They're both very tolerant of her.

Bella was another very affectionate little cat, she would give kisses (lick the end of my nose) and pat my face until I turned the alarm off. The only real lap cat as well. Not above nipping or giving a swipe at times but not spiteful. She hated spot on flea treatment and anything that looked like a tablet. Luckily you could bury tablets in chicken and she'd eat them with no trouble. Very shy, would run and hide when people arrived but emerge eventualy and inspect them carefully until she decided to approach, or not. I took note of those she didn't approach, she was a good judge.

Missy, quite distant, liked affection but on her terms and left you in no doubt when she'd had enough, very handy with teeth and claws if she didn't like what was going on. I think that was because she had been allowed to do it. I had her until she was 6 months old then she went to my mother who lived next door and came back to me when my mother died, although they'd all go between the two houses. She was the hunter of the family, there was rarely a morning without a gift of some description. If she hadn't caught anything she would present me with a leaf, stone or twig instead.

Last edited:
am I mad? rehoming officer from Celia Hammond called and left a message saying Biffa had been friendly with a shop cat called Kashmir. The shop has now closed...........you can guess what's coming next!!!!

yes welcome to my world Kashmir. Biffa hasn't emerged from under the bed to reunite with her yet but hopefully soon. they'll keep each other company while I'm at work.

I think that must be fastest adoption ever, she was only taken in last night :)

Attachments

am I mad? rehoming officer from Celia Hammond called and left a message saying Biffa had been friendly with a shop cat called Kashmir. The shop has now closed...........you can guess what's coming next!!!!

yes welcome to my world Kashmir. Biffa hasn't emerged from under the bed to reunite with her yet but hopefully soon. they'll keep each other company while I'm at work.

I think that must be fastest adoption ever, she was only taken in last night :)
And you thought YOU knew what you were doing.

And you thought YOU knew what you were doing.
I never said that!

.......oh and I was well and truly corrected by petplan's call centre when I said it's Kashmir like the country - it's a state not a country! the man said "you should come here" before he corrected himself :) :)

oh lord-Kashmir wants to live outside, Biffa is still living under the bed.......Kashmir jumped out of the window at 0430 Sunday morning, I had to let CHAT know.much worry all day, then she calmly reappeared meowing for her supper at 10pm or so!!!!! I fed her, then again this morning, and she has hung out in the garden quite happily all day. The re-homing officer seemed to want to come and trap her and force her to stay inside, but I said she seems to know where to come for food (and I think it would be cruel especially in this weather) so she is outside the front door where I've put a box on it's side with a towel in for her to sleep on. She came in briefly but dashed out again pretty soon

hope I'm doing the right thing letting her stay out...........

oh lord-Kashmir wants to live outside, Biffa is still living under the bed.......Kashmir jumped out of the window at 0430 Sunday morning, I had to let CHAT know.much worry all day, then she calmly reappeared meowing for her supper at 10pm or so!!!!! I fed her, then again this morning, and she has hung out in the garden quite happily all day. The re-homing officer seemed to want to come and trap her and force her to stay inside, but I said she seems to know where to come for food (and I think it would be cruel especially in this weather) so she is outside the front door where I've put a box on it's side with a towel in for her to sleep on. She came in briefly but dashed out again pretty soon

hope I'm doing the right thing letting her stay out...........
IF you feed them they will return….apologies for the misquote

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Foitin_Irish Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
orificecadet Officers 45
OldRedCap The Intelligence Cell 4