Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Just walked into the dining room and found Loki dead by the cat flap. It was only a hour ago that she came up to me and received a good ear scratching. She was about 16 years old and had a bloody good life so I take solace in that but it's still a bummer.
F.F.S. . . . !!

Condolences :( .

A shock for you, Bollox, but that is definitely the way I would choose to go myself.......

Sorry to hear that. RIP Loki.

Wasn't Bast an Egyptian cat-God?
She was. But having been a church warden, while Gramps was happy to fully name Bas in the sitting room, he hesitated at shouting "Bast@rd" up the garden path every dusk.

And as we grandchildren used to like pushing the envelope with it, our mothers doubtless had a word with their Dad.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the messages. It was definitely quick so a good way to go if there is such a thing. She had a good ear scratch, ate a bowl of food, threw some of it back up (she always ate quickly) and wandered off.
I found her a hour later. At least it looked painless as her eyes were wide open and I know what happened which is better than her going outside and just disappearing.
Dillinger and Lenin received lots of love and attention last night which helped me and was a pleasure for them.
Anyway thanks again for all the support
Bill of

My condolences @Bollox Loki was loved and knew it, which is what matters. RIP Loki

Just walked into the dining room and found Loki dead by the cat flap. It was only a hour ago that she came up to me and received a good ear scratching. She was about 16 years old and had a bloody good life so I take solace in that but it's still a bummer.
Fare thee well furry friend. Sleep the eternal sleep snoozing in a warm spot in cat heaven with sweet dreams reminiscing about your human servants who doted upon you, stroked you furry head and who are now missing you.

Thanks for all the messages. It was definitely quick so a good way to go if there is such a thing. She had a good ear scratch, ate a bowl of food, threw some of it back up (she always ate quickly) and wandered off.
I found her a hour later. At least it looked painless as her eyes were wide open and I know what happened which is better than her going outside and just disappearing.
Dillinger and Lenin received lots of love and attention last night which helped me and was a pleasure for them.
Anyway thanks again for all the support
I think you can be sure it was quick. In my experience over many years when a cat is feeling poorly they tend to hide somewhere as a sort of protective instinct.
The only cat I had that was found dead had hidden himself under the bottom step of the cellar stairs. He was 19 so no surprise but we could not find him. My son, then 13 or 14 said "ask the dog" and then "Lizzie, Lizzie where's the kitty". Lizzie the springer started running around, ran down to the cellar and went under the stairs and started a keening whine. There was poor old Taffy. I was glad we found him before he got smelly, that would have been harder.
If you found yours in the open he must have died quite quickly

The household papist has pointed to me that today is St patrick's - but more appropriately - also St Gertrude of Nivelles Day, patron saint of cats. Invoked against mice, patron of travellers, the recently dead, gardeners and occassional distressed sailor: she seemed to pick up jobs like Anoia, Pratchett's sideways-promoted volcano goddess in that respect. Not bad for a 10 year old who didn't want to marry rich.

( There are links to fluffy sites, there are links to serious papal history - take your choice, this one's halfwayish http://www.catholictradition.org/Saints/nivelles.htm ).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Foitin_Irish Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
orificecadet Officers 45
OldRedCap The Intelligence Cell 4