• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

I have to walk down the wrong side of the street after an incident with a cat a few days ago; I was walking home and saw someone enter a recently refurbished "close" with a brand new security door. A cat sprinted across the road and tried to get in the very solid, closed door. It saw me and not only mewed but planted it's front paws on my knees and shouted to be let in.
I couldn't cope with the emotional trauma again, so have taken to avoiding the cat................

I had the nickname of sooty at work for many years. When I first met the father-in-law he had a cat coincidently called sooty. FIL came from Pusey and a nice bloke but not the sharpest. Mrs and I went to visit her mum dad one weekend and I left my car with a work mate to do some repairs and service. I gave him FIL number to call in the event he needed to contact me. It was the days before mobiles. The perplexed/shock/bewilderment look on his face when he answered the phone and someone asking to talk to his cat. ( in a strong West Country accent, "someone wants to speak to the fekking cat")

Never known a cat to ring a doorbell but I do know of a dog that would do that.
When I was a kid (late 50's ) an elderly neighbor, Mrs Wallau, had a beautiful Belgian Shepherd dog named Toggy. I did not have a dog at the time and I loved Toggy and would often go ask Mrs Wallau if I could walk Toggy and would happily play with him.

One evening the doorbell rang, my dad looked out the window and could see no one there, opened the door and there was Toggy, who came in and walked to the kitchen looking around. My dad thought he was thirsty and gave him a bowl of water. Toggy relaxed in out living room for about 30 minutes and then went to the door. I walked Toggy back home. It appeared that Mrs Wallau had let the dog out and dozed off. This happened again a number of times while Toggy lived. Sometimes he would just come by to visit for a while. After Toggy passed on my parents got my first dog, an English Cocker. My dog never rang the bell , just scratched the daylights out of the door until we opened it.

I'm currently trying to find Dillingers stash location, over the last month I've had usb sticks, jewelry, belts and ornaments disappear.
Earlier today whilst I was in the bath he was climbing up the sink and onto the toilet he put his foot on the flush button and was mesmerised by the toilet flushing. He figured out the connection between the button and the flush and is spending ages pushing the button just to watch and play with the flush, trouble is I'm on a water meter so guests using my toilet may well inquire about the upside down plastic cup covering the flush button.
I read somewhere about the personality of the Maine Coon, it stated that a male Maine Coon kitten could be equated to a furry Bart Simpson, so far that's spot on, still love him to bits though.

I'm on a roll here, Dillinger is coming up to 5 months old, what's the age he should be neutered at. I've always had my toms done at 6 months but I've read and have been told to leave it as late as possible (but with no specific age), so the cat develops properly.

I'm on a roll here, Dillinger is coming up to 5 months old, what's the age he should be neutered at. I've always had my toms done at 6 months but I've read and have been told to leave it as late as possible (but with no specific age), so the cat develops properly.
I'd suggest 10, maybe 12 . . .

YEARS! that is ;) .

@Bollox - I laughed reading that and then cut and pasted it into an email to a cousin who is housekeeper and domestic staff to a pair on male Coons.
Cat are amazing creatures. Mine have never learned to flush a toilet but they love to watch it flush, hopping onto the sink to get a good view.

Still somewhat winter here in New England. Odd weather though, last Tuesday 74F and sunny, last Wednesday below freezing and snowing. Cold tonight. My two Hobbs and Wombat tend to cuddle on cold nights and like a chair that is in my bedroom for reading but is often otherwise occupied.
I like the fact that Hobbs has his paw around Wombat

CatsChair.jpg

Last edited:
Still somewhat winter here in New England. Odd weather though, last Tuesday 74F and sunny, last Wednesday below freezing and snowing. Cold tonight. My two Hobbs and Wombat tend to cuddle on cold nights and like a chair that is in my bedroom for men reading but is often otherwise occupied.
I like the fact that Hobbs has his paw around Wombat

View attachment 323873
Hobbs is a brilliant name for a cat, I actually have all the Calvin and Hobbs cartoons in book format.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
notwhoiam The NAAFI Bar 199
happybonzo Travel 2
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 20