Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

a question for those who have multiple cats... Of my two, felix is by far the more dominant. In their frequent (at least daily) dust-ups- in themselves rather odd, silent apart from thuds of furniture and rather violent- felix wins 75%. The ones Elvis wins are the handful fought over the lounge foot stool where he stands his ground.

anyway the question. Felix grooms his brother (they are real litter-mate brothers) a lot more regularly that Elvis grooms him. In fact Felix grooms Elvis several times a day and I've probably seen Elvis return the favour 6-8 times in the two years since we adopted them. Anyone else observe this pattern of the dominant being the main groomer? I have a theory that it makes the subservient cat smell more like the dominant but no real evidence to back it up. Can't do statistics with a sample of 1...
We have five cats, two moggies that are brother and sister and two Bengals that are brother and sister and one odd moggy.

The two moggies (Sammy and Rosie) will often groom each other as will the two Bengals (Loki and Freya).

Sammy and Freya will often curl up together but as soon as Freya tries to groom Sammy he shoos her off.

The odd moggy (Saffy) will curl up with Loki and they will often groom each other she will allow Sammy to groom her until he decides it's time to play.

Rosie will only allow Sammy to groom her.

Sammy still thinks he is the boss, but Loki is starting to challenge him.

Loki & Freya 15.jpg

And they still cuddle up together!

Last edited:
We have five cats, two moggies that are brother and sister and two Bengals that are brother and sister and one odd moggy.

The two moggies (Sammy and Rosie) will often groom each other as will the two Bengals (Loki and Freya).

Sammy and Freya will often curl up together but as soon as Freya tries to groom Sammy he shoos her off.

The odd moggy (Saffy) will curl up with Loki and they will often groom each other she will allow Sammy to groom her until he decides it's time to play.

Rosie will only allow Sammy to groom her.

Sammy still thinks he is the boss, but Loki is starting to challenge him.

View attachment 323052
And they still cuddle up together!
Sounds like the convoluted preamble to a question on R4's "Round Britain Quiz" ! ;) .

I was getting worried, I haven't seen a photo of those two in ages. I take it Colin is fully recovered from his illness.
I was gong to ask if the painting/decorating had put them off.

Just had to adopt my son's Ridgeback as she was fighting with their Danes and winning. Our cats immediately established their superiority, treating her with the disdain she deserves being a lesser species.
IMG_0701.JPG

After many years of jealously reading everyone else’s accounts of owning cats being owned by cats, we have finally been adopted.

Meet Brindille.

IMAG0054-3800.jpg

She rocked up very preggers at our favourite restaurant here in France 18 months ago, looking like she’d been neglected and ill-treated. She gave birth to three kittens, which the restaurant owners found homes for, but never really got on with the two moggies who already lived there, and just hid out in a spare room, looking scared. The owners are retiring and leaving the area in a few months, so they needed a home for Brindille (name means twig in French, which is weird, ‘cos she weighs 1.8 kg and her fluffy coat makes her look even bigger than she is, but that’s Frogs for you).

Brindille is still a scaredy-cat, but she’s gradually settling down and even comes up to be petted every now and again. It’ll take a long time to help her get over her PTSD but she’s only about 3, so hopefully not too set in her ways.

Penguin: your Centre Cat appears to be wearing a Ginger Brain Donor mask.
Flaggie: good luck with your naughty tortie, especially if part feral. Worth the work (we have had several semi-ferals/ feral born - they make nervy but very intelligent companions)

Flaggie - Brindille is lovely. Best of luck with her.
Many years ago (almost 20) we adopted a feral kitten/cat at around 4 to 6 months. She ended up a very gentle friendly cat. She was not a bright animal. Once she hopped up on the stove, oblivious to a burner that was on and singed her tail before she realized something was burning. Still, a very sweet gentle cat.

She came from a flock of feral that lived near an elderly cousin of my mother in law who would daily cook Italian food and feed the flock. I never realized that cats would eat rizzoto, fettuccini alfredo, gnocchi etc. I suspect the supplements that with birds, squirrels etc they found in the march adjacent to her home.
All white with blue eyes (Creampuff the kitten, not Mary the elderly in-law )

Flaggie - Brindille is lovely. Best of luck with her.
Many years ago (almost 20) we adopted a feral kitten/cat at around 4 to 6 months. She ended up a very gentle friendly cat. She was not a bright animal. Once she hopped up on the stove, oblivious to a burner that was on and singed her tail before she realized something was burning. Still, a very sweet gentle cat.

She came from a flock of feral that lived near an elderly cousin of my mother in law who would daily cook Italian food and feed the flock. I never realized that cats would eat rizzoto, fettuccini alfredo, gnocchi etc. I suspect the supplements that with birds, squirrels etc they found in the march adjacent to her home.
All white with blue eyes (Creampuff the kitten, not Mary the elderly in-law )
Not sure she's feral as such. From what her previous slave says, it sounds more like she went AWOL from owners who were ill-treating her. But no way of knowing for sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Foitin_Irish Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
orificecadet Officers 45
OldRedCap The Intelligence Cell 4