Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Advice please, both our old Siamese lady and younger ginger Tom have developed clumping in their fur. I have seen such in horror stories on faceache, but this only started this year. We have cut out some of the larger clumps but new ones appear elsewhere.
You prayers have been answered..........

One of our cats has the longest thickest fur ever.

She's also disabled, with weak back legs, so she gets matted, and can't always keep herself clean.

We tried with different shavers, but nothing could touch, plus the noise really spooked her.

All we could do was take her to the vets, and even they had to anaesthetise her first.

Thoroughly miserable.... as a last resort, I tried a Silvercrest hair trimmer from a special Lidl offer.

It's got ceramic teeth, unlike the usual stainless teeth, and they zip through fur......... an extra bonus is the motor is very quiet and doesn't spook them too much.

On sale in Lidl, from 22nd february....... trust me, nothing can touch them.

The little one has a well-tendered coat, no doubt cared for by Mum and up to today greeted me with its pathetic little meows. Yesterday under Mums careful eye it even approached me with the question mark tail gesture so I thought that would bring about a bit of a breakthrough.....until this morning. Ho hum, life must go on for the poor kid.
Maybe try luring it into the house with a trail of stinky fish in little pieces like pilchards in tomato sauce? Most cats go nuts for it....once it's in the house confine to a single room? Cats Protection can lend out traps for you to use too. Good luck!

Edit - CPL do vouchers for neutering

Last edited:
Bollox - may I suggest you give him rope soused in catnip instead of his own piece of flex? You are only transferring the problem, not solving it. This said as we replaced several sets of mutli strand fairy lights after the Late, Great Senior Tripod started chewing through them for a hobby - and he was 8 or 9. And when I say chewed - as in cut right through. He suddenly stopped - I suspect one set was on, but low enough voltage to shock not injure.
I didn't think of that so thanks for the suggestion and I will do it, I'm sure I've seen catnip spray in pet world so I'll go down and get some tomorrow.
I'm hoping that his chewing phase is because he must be teething and it will stop after he is done.

As it was Sunday both times she buggered off, I decided that she had gone to church.[/QUOTE]

If you rely on her as a mouser you don't want her in church. If she listens to too many sermons about loving her neighbors and the meek inheriting the earth and her mousing career is over[/QUOTE]

If she goes into a Robert (Mouseman) Thompson church she will Ruin her claws trying to catch the mice.
4460D8B1-5C8F-4BD6-8C81-C1E4196EE28C.jpeg

Thoroughly miserable.... as a last resort, I tried a Silvercrest hair trimmer from a special Lidl offer.

It's got ceramic teeth, unlike the usual stainless teeth, and they zip through fur......... an extra bonus is the motor is very quiet and doesn't spook them too much.

On sale in Lidl, from 22nd february....... trust me, nothing can touch them.
Seconded.

So good I bought one for myself as well as the cat. About £15 and ten times better than my £60 Philips trimmer.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
a question for those who have multiple cats... Of my two, felix is by far the more dominant. In their frequent (at least daily) dust-ups- in themselves rather odd, silent apart from thuds of furniture and rather violent- felix wins 75%. The ones Elvis wins are the handful fought over the lounge foot stool where he stands his ground.

anyway the question. Felix grooms his brother (they are real litter-mate brothers) a lot more regularly that Elvis grooms him. In fact Felix grooms Elvis several times a day and I've probably seen Elvis return the favour 6-8 times in the two years since we adopted them. Anyone else observe this pattern of the dominant being the main groomer? I have a theory that it makes the subservient cat smell more like the dominant but no real evidence to back it up. Can't do statistics with a sample of 1...

Freya has taken to sleeping on my shoulders and scrounging rides on my wheelchair…
Me and Freya 1.jpg

Loki and Freya cuddled up together in Mrs P's dolls pram!
Loki & Freya 14.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
a question for those who have multiple cats... Of my two, felix is by far the more dominant. In their frequent (at least daily) dust-ups- in themselves rather odd, silent apart from thuds of furniture and rather violent- felix wins 75%. The ones Elvis wins are the handful fought over the lounge foot stool where he stands his ground.

anyway the question. Felix grooms his brother (they are real litter-mate brothers) a lot more regularly that Elvis grooms him. In fact Felix grooms Elvis several times a day and I've probably seen Elvis return the favour 6-8 times in the two years since we adopted them. Anyone else observe this pattern of the dominant being the main groomer? I have a theory that it makes the subservient cat smell more like the dominant but no real evidence to back it up. Can't do statistics with a sample of 1...
We have 5, 2 black, a calico, a ginger and a blue. The eldest female, black, will wash the other black and the calico, but leave the other two alone. She is the cat who has lived with us the longest (4 years, the elder ones all died and have been replaced with the others) so basically she is the matriarch.

Our tabby went out Friday night and has not returned ... never happened before. Worried. Asked neighbours to check gardens, sheds, etc. Fat, furry f*cker drives me mental because he is exceedingly, irritatingly affectionate and is an embarrassing tart when people come to the house. :-(

Sorry to hear that @Wooden Wonder

I posted this a few years ago. It might help.

Although some cats go on a Long March every night most don't go more than 100 yards.

When my avatar went over the wall I spent the entire day looking for him. Yeah, that worked, looking for a brown tabby in woods and trees.

As cats are crepuscular and hunt at dawn and dusk these are the best times to look for him. The daylight hours are likely to be spent sleeping.

I found mine around 19.30 mostly by walking around listening out for him as I guessed he would be squawking for food and probably distressed.

Go back to where you thought you last saw him and use your ears. It might sound daft but cup your hands behind your ears like one of those anti-aircraft sound detectors. You will feel like a knob and people will think you are a nutter but so what.

Take a feathery toy and biscuits/dreamies in a metal bowl to use as lures.

If you find him don't lunge for him. Allow his natural curiosity/hunger to lure him to you. Softly, softly catchy moggy.

It might be worth taking a towel to wrap him in to (a) stop him struggling and going AWOL again and (b) stop him shredding your arms.

And now the bad bits:
  • Check with your vet. Most vets are linked locally and can check microchip numbers if a stray/dead cat is notified to them.
  • Ditto the local RSPCA and other local cat/pet charities
  • Check with SITA, SERCO or whoever does your streets. Most of these companies will read the chip on a deat cat/dog before disposal. Not much fun if the answer is positive but at least you know.
  • Might be worth a call to the local dog catcher, although he will probably now be the Animal Welfare Officer or similar.
I hope this helps and the little bastard is captured soonish.

When you get him home you and your partner will want to strangle him and kick his lifeless body around the garden, but you probably won't. A love-in of cuddles, food and dreamies is more likely.

Our males would disappear to beat the parish bounds in early spring and autumn if allowed / later on got out - when the queens come looking for suitors.

Gone out but would come back next day (or with first cats who had free access to out 24 hours possibly the next evening) and sleep. But we are rural . A rural tom can travel a 6 mile boundary when the horn be upon 'im.

Hopefully your cat is randy and will come back shamefaced, late and exhausted.

Also ask neighbours if anyone has an inadvertant 'anyone' in their sheds or garages. The Donor used to not be very vocal. after 24 hours in next door's brick garage he learnt the value of volume.....

Our males would disappear to beat the parish bounds in early spring and autumn if allowed / later on got out - when the queens come looking for suitors.

Gone out but would come back next day (or with first cats who had free access to out 24 hours possibly the next evening) and sleep. But we are rural . A rural tom can travel a 6 mile boundary when the horn be upon 'im.

Hopefully your cat is randy and will come back shamefaced, late and exhausted.

Also ask neighbours if anyone has an inadvertant 'anyone' in their sheds or garages. The Donor used to not be very vocal. after 24 hours in next door's brick garage he learnt the value of volume.....
He is a 9 year old neutered tom, so not out on the razzle. There are ‘ethnic’ restaurants nearby ...

@Wooden Wonder

If any if your neighbours have a caravan on the drive it is worth asking them to check inside it. It’s that time of year when caravan owners are giving their vans a spring checkup and leaving the van door open to give them an airing.......l hope he comes home soon.

There are ‘ethnic’ restaurants nearby ...
Blimey. Not heard that one in four decades!

Last time I heard it was a black guy telling me to look after my cats as there was a Chinese restaurant nearby and they would cook my cats as they were “the Jews of the East”.

The missus restrained me from going off on one.

I’m still trying to work out the logic.

Blimey. Not heard that one in four decades!

Last time I heard it was a black guy telling me to look after my cats as there was a Chinese restaurant nearby and they would cook my cats as they were “the Jews of the East”.

The missus restrained me from going off on one.

I’m still trying to work out the logic.
Apologies. I am of a certain age and am distraught. The fat, furry f*cker’s absence is making it dusty in here.

Apologies. I am of a certain age and am distraught. The fat, furry f*cker’s absence is making it dusty in here.
No apologies required, we all get that way when the little fur balls think they know best. He'll be fine, some old dear may have taken him in against his will, he'll be back.

Back story: when I made an offer for this house three years ago the previous owner was moving in with her daughter, who had a dog. I immediately said I’d be happy to be staff to the owner and that secured the sale despite a higher bid from someone who didn’t want the cat. He immediately took us under control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Foitin_Irish Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
orificecadet Officers 45
OldRedCap The Intelligence Cell 4