Cats. Feline funnies and other stuff.

Latest update on Boris and Carrie the ferals returning to the wild:

I last posted an update on Friday where Boris was visiting Carrie during the night. Well, on Sunday evening we released Carrie - initially she was reluctant to leave the cage but eventually ventured forward onto the top of her carrier:

Carrie on carrier_1.jpg

Some time later Boris arrived and they settled down to a romantic dinner:

Carrie and Boris together (Copy).JPG

...when that was finished they decided to wander off and do what cats do together (chase rats?)

Monday morning at silly o'clock Carrie arrived back on the patio searching for food (crap photo but video is too large to upload)

IMAG0109 (Copy).JPG

That was the last we saw of them until early this morning where they approached the food individually:

IMAG0297 (Copy).JPG

and... (we're pretty sure this is Carrie as she is smaller in stature
IMAG0289 (Copy).JPG

We'll have to wait to see what tonight brings

4(T)

LE
Latest update on Boris and Carrie the ferals returning to the wild:

I last posted an update on Friday where Boris was visiting Carrie during the night. Well, on Sunday evening we released Carrie - initially she was reluctant to leave the cage but eventually ventured forward onto the top of her carrier:

View attachment 478876

Some time later Boris arrived and they settled down to a romantic dinner:

View attachment 478877

...when that was finished they decided to wander off and do what cats do together (chase rats?)

Monday morning at silly o'clock Carrie arrived back on the patio searching for food (crap photo but video is too large to upload)

View attachment 478878

That was the last we saw of them until early this morning where they approached the food individually:

View attachment 478880

and... (we're pretty sure this is Carrie as she is smaller in stature
View attachment 478881

We'll have to wait to see what tonight brings

Pretty cats.

I missed the story; is there a reason they can't be domesticated and then found a home? I've known quite a lot of ferals to make the transition from wildcat to housecat.

Pretty cats.

I missed the story; is there a reason they can't be domesticated and then found a home? I've known quite a lot of ferals to make the transition from wildcat to housecat.
Hi 4T
They turned up in our garden and next doors a while ago - they could be farm cats but we'll never know. They were trapped, taken to a vets who gave them a thorough examination, de-wormed and inoculated them. Carrie was pregnant and whilst with the foster guy she had 4 little kittens, Boris also stayed with him and was originally called Hooligan as he was very wild.

Carrie nursed the kittens for over 8 or so weeks and then was neutered. During their fostering Boris and her were assessed to see if they would transition but to no avail, both were beyond redemption which is a pity as she became relatively used to me over the week. I would sit and chat nonsense to her and on Friday she approached her food with me sitting about 6 foot away.

The group that traps feral/lost/abandoned cats have a TNR (Trap Neuter Release) policy but where possible they will rehome or resettle cats with adoptees, they will never PTS a moggie unless the poor thing is beyond redemption. Carrie's kittens were domesticated and will be found new homes.

Hope that explanation helps

Londo

LE
Hi 4T
They turned up in our garden and next doors a while ago - they could be farm cats but we'll never know. They were trapped, taken to a vets who gave them a thorough examination, de-wormed and inoculated them. Carrie was pregnant and whilst with the foster guy she had 4 little kittens, Boris also stayed with him and was originally called Hooligan as he was very wild.

Carrie nursed the kittens for over 8 or so weeks and then was neutered. During their fostering Boris and her were assessed to see if they would transition but to no avail, both were beyond redemption which is a pity as she became relatively used to me over the week. I would sit and chat nonsense to her and on Friday she approached her food with me sitting about 6 foot away.

The group that traps feral/lost/abandoned cats have a TNR (Trap Neuter Release) policy but where possible they will rehome or resettle cats with adoptees, they will never PTS a moggie unless the poor thing is beyond redemption. Carrie's kittens were domesticated and will be found new homes.

Hope that explanation helps
My experience of cat rescues and ferals would be the same as the group you mentioned .
The mum we have just taken in I would love to keep as she is a proper cat in my eyes but she would never be totally happy in a home environment .
Best to neuter and re-home to somewhere outdoors where she will be fed and given shelter . Her kittens on the other hand are very sweet people cats . Got them at just the right time .

Hi 4T

Ive never known a fleabag that couldnt be domesticated once it realised whats in it for them, my mother has adopted Greebo type toms that hissed and spat and clawed, to eventully curling up on her lap. My sister was chosen by a female cat that the vet reckoned was over 10 years old.
The little ******* tend to know whats good for them.

Ginger has been in for supper, Scud is purring happily on the bed, Jeeves is off on patrol somewhere and I'd barely turned the light off and got upstairs when the peace of the evening was shattered by Cafe Hedgehog's first customer of the night doing serious damage to a bowl of Amazon Lifelong dry cat food which seems to have addictive qualities for hedgehogs as well as cats. They also have a bowl of Whiskas chicken in jelly for pudding and a water bowl for a drink or a bath or both

Londo

LE
Ive never known a fleabag that couldnt be domesticated once it realised whats in it for them, my mother has adopted Greebo type toms that hissed and spat and clawed, to eventully curling up on her lap. My sister was chosen by a female cat that the vet reckoned was over 10 years old.
The little ******* tend to know whats good for them.
Spent 20 years taking in ferals . Some do eventually become trusting and eventually lap cats but it takes years in some cases and some never come round at all .
The feral we have just taken in is one I think would come round after a while . However a place is available at some outbuildings round my daughters .

Last edited:
Spent 20 years taking in ferals . Some do eventually become trusting and eventually lay cats but it takes years in some cases and some never come round at all .
The feral we have just taken in is one I think would come round after a while . However a place is available at some outbuildings round my daughters .
From what you've said about her, that sounds like a great place for her. She can get as close as she's comfortable with and keep her independence

Londo

LE
From what you've said about her, that sounds like a great place for her. She can get as close as she's comfortable with and keep her independence
Yes Its a row of stable buildings at the bottom of the daughters garden . No horses but plenty of mice and rats as they are used for storing bird seed amongst other things as my son in law breeds peacocks and chickens .
She will be neutered once the kittens are weaned and started off in a pen there for a few days then freed .
Hopefully she will stay and be content to be fed once a day .
It's a shame really as yesterday I'm on the floor being attacked by her kittens and she was under the bed , stretched out on her side and went to sleep relaxed enough to have her back to me .
Spoiled a couple of hours later when I returned to the room and the black and white kitten came running over for a fuss and mum growled at her for doing so .
First time she has taken any notice of us handling the kittens .

Yes Its a row of stable buildings at the bottom of the daughters garden . No horses but plenty of mice and rats as they are used for storing bird seed amongst other things as my son in law breeds peacocks and chickens .
She will be neutered once the kittens are weaned and started off in a pen there for a few days then freed .
Hopefully she will stay and be content to be fed once a day .
It's a shame really as yesterday I'm on the floor being attacked by her kittens and she was under the bed , stretched out on her side and went to sleep relaxed enough to have her back to me .
Spoiled a couple of hours later when I returned to the room and the black and white kitten came running over for a fuss and mum growled at her for doing so .
First time she has taken any notice of us handling the kittens .
She's a lovely cat. She looks watchful rather than hostile in the pic and seems to have come a long way in a short time, especially considering she has kittens and every protective instinct will be well to the fore

Bootom

Old-Salt
Have you still got all your teeth?
It appears from this side of the monitor that you and Shopgirl have made the assumption that I am afraid, or should be afraid of Voldemorts sister, aka "The Missus". I am too old, fat and ugly to worry about waking up dead!

TamH70

MIA
It appears from this side of the monitor that you and Shopgirl have made the assumption that I am afraid, or should be afraid of Voldemorts sister, aka "The Missus". I am too old, fat and ugly to worry about waking up dead!
Aye, that may be true, but have you considered that if she is as skilled as Tom Riddle was, you could end up as one of her Horcruxes, and therefore end up with having a fate that is worse than death?

Or she could turn you into a cat.

...Or she could turn you into a cat.

Sleep in the comfiest spot in the house. Get up for some food (prepared for you). Have a poo.

Maybe sit in a sunny spot in the garden for a bit. Then repeat, as required.

I'm not seeing a downside to this, to be honest!

Neither Boris nor Carrie honoured us with their presence last night, meanwhile the hedgehogs had a party - at least 3 visited the restaurant.

In the meantime resident mog, Poppy, is just bored with the whole setup and showed her disdain:

Poppy 200520.JPG

Londo

LE
She's a lovely cat. She looks watchful rather than hostile in the pic and seems to have come a long way in a short time, especially considering she has kittens and every protective instinct will be well to the fore
If she didn't have a place to go she could stay here . Most likely as a garden cat as we are both getting a bit long in the tooth to have semi ferals running round the house . 20 years ago would have liked that , no so much now .

Latest Threads