Catholics asked to pay for Popes visit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BrandySoured, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The congregations are being asked to dig deep to help fund Il Papa's visit. Now call me cynical but doesn't he and his church already have a bob or two?

BBC report

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Msg to 'Dave': cut here.

3. How much do little boys cost nowadays then ?

4. tell the b*gger to fly sleazy jet & feck right off back to der vaderland.
    bloody papal noncio

5. "Little boys are half a crown
    standing up or sitting down" :lol: :lol:
    Quote from old rugby song!

6. I am a Protestant.

I believe that: 'The Bishop of Rome hath no jurisdiction in the Realm of England'. (Part of the XXXVII Article of MY religion).

That said, Her Majesty's government invited His Holiness to this country on behalf of the people and he should, must, be greeted and treated with total respect.

Whether, we and I include me, like it or not, His Holiness is the Head of State of a Sovereign Nation - The Vatican. I live less than a mile from the Vatican's 'Embassy' here in London, or more properly: The Apostolic Nunciature of The Holy See.

His Holiness is also - in my language: 'The Supreme Head of the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world' - this Church has more than one billion: 1,000,000,000 - members. (May I venture to suggest that these are fractionally more adherents than pertain to Dawkins?)

I believe that it is right and proper for His Holiness to visit Great Britain and the costs should be borne as they normally are - by us.

7. Venture not, since the Catholic church claims me as a Catholic despite the fact I am a Humanist!

8. Isn't just the Catholics. I'm a Prod and I was stung for a couple of quit at Mass this morning - which I was attending for reasons other than Catholicism.

And another thing ...

... on my last visit to the Vatican with Mrs A_M, how much do you think the Pope chipped in? Feck all, that's how much. I even had to pay for my own dirty movies back at the hotel while Mrs A_M was off on a Mass binge - trying to have Communion in every church in Rome.