Catholic Loyalist ????

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by johnnyonthespot, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondered following a conversation in the pub with a geezer from NI, if I was a practicing Roman Catholic and totally British socially/politically and loyal to the UK and the Monarchy, opposed to republicanism and 100% behind NI being part of the UK, where would this leave me if I was to live and work in NI?

Am guessing that if I was having a beer in a loyalist area, any mention of RCism might result in me getting a spot of bother (not that I would mention it) and like wise, drinking in a catholic area any pro Brit/Royal family chat might provide the same result.

Haven't both sides over the irish sea remebered that several members of the Royal family are catholic also?

Just wondered if anybody had met or had dealings with anyone in a similar situation?

2. Michael Stone was a catholic and we all know how it turned out for him.

This was something that got lost on a few people when i'm in england, its not as much a cathoilc vs protestant thing as a sence of nationallity. It just so happens that most catholics would prefer to be irish and most prods to be british and therefore by identifying the religion (names, schools they went to, side of the street they walk on, type of shoes, certain colour of trackies even the way they wear their baseball cap) its becomes clear what their political opinion is more than likely is.

But to answer your question you'd be an english man and everyone in northern ireland would probs dislike you o/j :p
  3. An oft-heard urban legend is that a leader of one of the loyalist groups in the north-east of Ulster in the 80's was an RC.
  4. im in a similer situation i a weird round about kinda way. being from the republic of ireland people tend to assume im RC but im actually prod. and being in the british army i get called a traitor back home even tho i wear my ireland top with pride. but i get away with it here in britain coz people generally like irish over here however in NI (as with the jocks and welsh) the fact ur english is probably reason enough for alot of people not to like u!
  5. Not correct.

6. An oft heard fact blah blah blah....... of an 'IRA' group in the '70's ..... was a Prod. Your point is :?

deleted 'urban legend' inserted 'fact'
  7. so im welsh, usual jokes welcomed, i was brought up in chapel. so am i a prot ot a cath or neither.. honestly i never thought about it before..
  8. Get back in your box ********.
  9. I used to know a couple of Catholics from Tyrone that were staunchly loyalist. One of them was quite involved with the original peace movement.
    Both were obliged to leave and move to england in the early 1980's.
    There were others equally Catholic and equally loyalist but (perhaps more practically than the aforementioned two) kept very very quiet about it.
  10. There were Catholics of honour and integrity in the locally recruited Security Forces. Some suffered a horrible death when their co-religionists within the Republican terror groups got hands on them. They lived hazardous lives - as did their families - alongside their Protestant comrades.
    Even resignation and moving home did not make them any less a target. Those Catholics who stoically served and survived through the worst generally lived in "protestant" areas. End of service often meant a move to another country. I would hazard a bet that there are some reading here who fit this category.
  11. Wolf Tone and Erskin Childers were Prod, and Athur Griffith's parents were Welsh
  12. There most certanly was a group of Prods in the PIRA. Ivor Bell who was on the Army council for one, was Prod.And there were a few in the INLA as well but I can't remember their names, but they were on the aide-memoir we used to carry around with us we thought that the int people had made a mistake untill I met one
  13. I met several, not a few served with distinction and great courage, in the British army. I also met several Irish Army officers - Roman Catholics all - who said they would rather Ireland had remained British. There were - and are Republicans who are Ulster protestants.
  14. My CSM in the 80's was a Catholic from South Armagh ,whose father was IRA and who had been killed in a feud with the Provies, saw him at the last reunion and he was a Major.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Not everyone in NI who are Prod or Cath are bigotted. I am Catholic myself and can proudly say that i have alot of prod friends and have had a few Prod Girls also. Being catholic also i have conisdered a career in the British Army. I think if you were in NI and explained your situation you would not get any bother at all from both sides. (providing you dont go drinking in a highly Loyalist or republican area lol).