Category 3 - Delay

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by don14vito, Mar 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I completed my briefing a couple of weeks ago and left with a disappointing CAT3. I called my ACA today and was told there is a minimum delay of 12 months to anyone awarded a CAT3. This has come as a bit of a shock to me as I'd never heard of this before. Also, I'm already 23y7mths old, so the year delay will seriously hinder me time wise during this app. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this apparent "standard delay" and if anyone has ever heard of it being wavered or reduced by the involved sponsor. I haven't spoken to my sponsor yet and had my de-brief, so I have the smallest hope that he may be able to reduce it.

2. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Why reduce it? Use it as time to get yourself squared away. Westbury have decided that a cat3 suits you and you need to improve what they specified. Ive got my briefing soon and i shall accept their decision because in the end I cant change it and its how they've viewed my performance

In 12 months you could become a lot more mature, get some life experience, work on fitness and if need be; get smarter.
    Yes that means you'll be 24 and 7 months, but that still give you 1 year and 5 months after main board to get to RMAS
    The board would be more impressed if you used the time effectively, than try and skirt round what your ACA has stated

• Like Like x 1
  3. The thing is, I know within myself that it was just a bad performance on the day. I guess that's why I'm trying to bulldoze the current situation. I've done MAP tests countless times, and I made a colossal error on the day with the Plan Ex that couldn't be recovered from, and that's what cost me, the two poor performances in conjunction with each other. Yeah I mean fitness wise it would be beneficial, but to be honest my fitness plan would have been the same whatever category was decided. I have to wait for the 12 months to pass before I'm allowed to book. So realistically I'd be closer to 24 and 10 months, and it is really cutting it fine time wise.

4. I'm confused; you say you just screwed up your MAP, but then you say "two poor performances". I cocked my MAP up pretty badly at briefing, but it seemed just a formality. I even cocked my map up at main, and it seemed like a formality.

Did you fail the phys?

5. It was a poor performance on the MAP and the Plan ex. No, I did okay on the second day. Phys was fine, command tasks fine. First day however, my feedback was: below average MAP, poor plan ex, subdued (but confident) introduction talk, and slow start to the group discussion, but much better later on.

6. 'subdued (but confident)' Is subdued not an antonym of confident, how can it have been both!?

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I think your ACA is wrong.

Delays are imposed for candidates who are either very young and may have time to develop significantly (e.g., candidates who are 18 or 19 and are in full-time education are sometimes given a Cat 2-24 to give them time to grow up and intellectually develop before going back for Main Board), or where there is a specific correctible fault like physical fitness or qualification which can be addressed with a little time and effort. A Cat 3 is usually given because a candidate has got a below- or well-below- average MAP combined with a poor planex and significant weaknesses in other areas: there's no point in imposing a delay because the candidate - in the board's eyes - is unlikely to pass whatever they do.

Having said that, people with Cat 3's do pass the Main Board, and plenty of people with Cat 1's and 2's fail. My advice is to cut out the middle man and give the Board Office at Westbury a call ASAP and see about booking yourself onto a board, or at least getting the referral details for a candidate support manager at the new National Recruiting Centre.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think he just felt I was a little quiet, and of course you can show a quiet confidence.

9. Thanks very much, that's really helpful.

10. Out of interest then, who actually gives the green light for progression at this stage? The sponsor or the board? Also, with this NRC playing a new part later this month in conjunction with the CSMs, do you know if this is a move to edge out the responsibility of sponsors as part of the reforms?

11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

When the Capita contract starts the responsibility will be with the 'Candidate Support Managers' to progress the process via the NRC, right now it's a bit of a halfway house. AOSB will continue to operate in much the same manner, as I understand it, but the current role of the ACAs is being phased out.

The ACAs have only ever been a filter and interface for AOSB, and that role will be taken on by the NRC. AOSB does the selection as before.

12. Interesting. I suppose I shouldn't have too much to worry about whilst this transition takes place. I mean the board sent me a "congratulatory email" after my briefing saying I'd passed along with a list of upcoming Main Board dates. This 12 month delay thing is just bizarre, wonder where it came from.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

No, you shouldn't worry. The army is still recruiting officers at much the same rate as before and whilst there may be the odd hiccup, nobody should be too concerned that the system is suddenly going to turn on its head.

15. Thanks again for your help in this.