Catching IRA bombmakers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Very clever:

One of the most interesting operations was the laundry mat [sic]. Having lost many troops and civilians to bombings, the Brits decided they needed to determine who was making the bombs and where they were being manufactured. One bright fellow recommended they operate a laundry and when asked "what the hell he was talking about," he explained the plan and it was incorporated -- to much success.
  2. Genius! Wonder if he got a GEMS payout?!
  3. 4 Square Laundry, IIRC?

Sadly PIRA got wind of this and, err, "stopped" the operation.

Good way of forensically looking for traces of PE, ANFO etc.

From the comments - looks like an ARRSER:

"Yet another example of how inexpensive, reliable home washers and dryers help terrorists. When will we learn???"

4. Think the Sappers were in on this in the early 70s
  5. Wow! I'd never heard of this. It just shows how a deceptively simple but imaginative idea can pay dividends. Cracking skills.

6. Ah Bruce Schneier, sadly turning into the Baron Castleshort of the security world. Was really good until he became the worlds expert on the whole world and everything.
  7. The guy who was killed on that op was RE
  8. Hmm. Clever I'll admit, but not quite as good as the classic method of accosting people at random and asking them;

"Are you an IRA bombmaker?" :D
  9. Good 'OP' for it's time. The Int Corps on top form. I've always wondered why our team were compromised as PIRA were in no position to 'get wind' of anything. The Corps won an MC. Lives were lost, may God rest their souls'.
  10. Gemini massage parlour on Antrim road was another. Used by PIRA and monitored by the Army.

Brits by Peter Taylor covers this and 4 Square.
  11. Correctamundo! Lives WERE lost; IIRC a WRAC soldier was also killed but it was along time ago. Wasn't the laundry van ambushed?
  12. I think she survived by hiding in a house and got the MM for her troubles - first WRAC MM according to my Peter Taylor book.
  13. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Yes, you do have to wonder how such a backwards country lacking in innovation, with Armed Forces who are inexperienced and poorly trained, managed such a feat.

14. Oh Dear. "A Quinn of South Armagh" seems to have got a bit narked with the septics for not toeing the party line. Possibly not the response he expected.
  15. Ah, so that's Baron Castleshort's plan is it?

It's OK everyone!
    He's just after independence for Castlebellingham...