Catch 22

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by pp0470, Oct 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Catch-22: Is the novel still relevant to modern soldiers?

Amusing comment posted to story:

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

3. I have been reading it and it seems that every limp wristed student lefty is out this morning to give it the "all soldiers are murderers" bollocks.

4. Glad it's not only me who remembers it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cheers, will add it to me kindle list.

To a degree, but most making the point between professional and conscript soldiers i thought - few dickhead comments posted, which seemed so unusual for the internet......

6. Both C-22 and the Good Soldier are superb books, in fact they should perhaps be issued at the recruiting office as compulsory reading before arrival at Catterick.

C-22 is the one I periodically re-read and I just love it.

For some people it is The Lord of The Rings that is their 'big' read, but for me it's Yossarian, Clevinger, Huple's cat, Nateley's whore (and her sister), ex PFC Wintergreen, Doc Daneeka, Chief Whitehalfoat et al who combine in a moral tale about the absurdities of war, the military and the random unfairness of life.

Plus it was written by a man who lived the world his characters inhabit having been a WW2 bomb aimer over Italy.

7. Brotherton Lad

I read Catch 22, Schweik and alot of Kafka before getting to Serve to Lead. I think this is where I may have gone wrong.

8. Brotherton Lad

That's the one, pp. Though mine is the 1973 translation, so I can't speak for this version (it may be a bit septic orientated).

9. Schweik and 22 apply equally well to Civvie life. Just less people trying to kill you.

Both Hask and heller put their characters into civvie life in later books with the same fustrations applying. Joseph Hellers 2nd to last book Closing time is a great read.

Always thought Tom Sharpe nicked the character of Scheik for wilt.

10. Yossarian lives

• Like Like x 2
  11. The 1973 version is the one that's more faithful to the original. The earlier one cut out all the swearing and profanity, and as I'm sure ARRSErs understand an account of soldiering without any of the above is basically as reliable as an account of the clergy which cuts out the liturgy and kiddie-fiddling.