Catch 22 TV Series

I've just binge watched all six episodes. I hate commercials so torrented it from Pirate Bay.

It's been over 20 years since I've last read the book (but read it a few times it was so good), and I thought the series did a fairly good job of translating Heller's work into something highly watchable, but of course it was never going to give the full Catch-22 experience.

It gets a 9/10 from me.

And I'm going to re-read the book.

I've just binge watched all six episodes. I hate commercials so torrented it from Pirate Bay.

It's been over 20 years since I've last read the book (but read it a few times it was so good), and I thought the series did a fairly good job of translating Heller's work into something highly watchable, but of course it was never going to give the full Catch-22 experience.

It gets a 9/10 from me.

Nicely put - you probably would have struggled to find a plot-spoiler ;), but it’s good to know it’s worth keeping in for the rest of the series.

There is, and post production software has a wide range of filters it can apply.

Worth noting however, modern audiences expect a might higher quality image than older viewers. I recently was tasked with sourcing pictures for CASD50. The media company rang back and asked if we had any better pictures, ‘these are soft and blurry’. Well that’s how Ilford HP5 through a Hassleblad looked in 1969!
Tell me about it, I shoot in nightclubs and they expect perfectly exposed photos where it looks like daylight without any obvious use of flash, oh and pin sharp as well. Even with my Nikon full frame it's at the limits of what it can focus on, but still way better than I could do focussing manually, exposure and flash are kept completely manual and it's all too fast to get a light meter out

If I don't get any comments back, I know I've done a good job

I put this in the TV thread but meant to put it here.

Watched the first episode of Catch 22 l

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Might save it up binge watch it.

Edit: still only watched Ep.1 but agree with a few points above.

Just 1 épisode of Catch 22 is not a solution

It gets a 9/10 from me.

I started reading it again this morning. Will knock it off before I watch the next episode.

Thanks for the review. Having enjoyed the first two episodes its good to know the rest are not dire.

I haven't read it for decades and could do with a refresher. For example I thought that Cathcart's aide Korn was an enlisted man or NCO. I forgot that he is actually a colonel and that Catchcart does everything Korn tells him (like promoting Majorx4.)

The pilots were America’s brightest and best, Graduates by and large, often from good backrounds.
Sharp dressed types courtesy of the quality tailoring Uncle Sam provided, unlike the shapeless sacks we gave our people.
And very young. I thought they'd cast actors who were of roughly the right ages, someone in their mid-twenties would probably have been elderly. Alan Arkin was 35ish when he played Yossarian in the 1970 film. I suppose it's difficult to find actors who are both teenagers and experienced.

It’s starting to deviate from the book. Sergeant Major Major Major was promoted to Major Major Major Major by an error in an IBM tabulating machine (which had the same sense of humour as his father) rather than at the whim of Cathcart..
Yes, I thought that was irritating and pointless, the extra scene didn't add anything to the series.

I couldn’t work out why the tomato truck was right hand drive.
Liberated from the British?

Last edited:
M*A*S*H covered Catch 22 better than this Clown Clooney abomination.

Also had Hot Lips :)

And very young. I thought they'd cast actors who were of roughly the right ages, someone in their mid-twenties would probably have been elderly. Alan Arkin was 35ish when he played Yossarian in the film. I suppose it's difficult to find actors who are both teenagers and experienced.

Col Don Blakeslee was just 26 when he took over the USAF 4th Fighter Group in 1943 after years flying with the RAF.

M*A*S*H covered Catch 22 better than this Clown Clooney abomination.

Also had Hot Lips :)
Based on what I have seen, and read in the book, I disagree.

MASH was a different kettle of fish to Catch 22. Whilst it is often claimed to be an allegory for Vietnam (as was C22) I am not so sure that is true. MASH was basically a sitcom set in a war and milked the war for laughs, although there were very many serious aspects to it. It very much had a feel-good factor to it, sometimes bitter sweet.

Catch 22 is a far more biting satirical work in which the war largely plays second fiddle to the satire of bureaucracy run amok, human fallibility, peoples responses to ludicrous situations and the general pointlessness and fatuousness of much of human activity.

Catch 22 is very dark and depressing with comedic inserts whereas MASH was a sitcom with occasional sad bits. Mash would never have had stuff like Scheisskopf wanting to wire his soldiers up to metal pins in their thighs so they marched properly, Catch 22 itself, Minderbender trying to get airmen to eat chocolate covered cotton or Cathcart/Korn decreeing that only soldiers who had no questions were allowed to ask questions (Catch 22 again).

The closest MASH ever got to a Catch 22 was Freedman not signing off Klinger as unfit for service because he wasn't actually a tranny and was gaming the system. And MASH never had the pointless deaths like the bloke on the diving platform (forgotten his name), the FNG who croaks on his first mission or Yossarian giving up clothes when his mate explodes all over him.

Catch 22 is also based on a classic book whereas MASH is based on a few rubbish potboilers.

And I mean the TV series, not the films. That's an entirely different argument.

I've only ever seen the 1970 movie back when I was a teenager, and I was underwhelmed by it, mainly because I find Alan Arkin overbearing. Jack Gilford was one of the few highlights of that film for me acting-wise. But for me, this was the only bit that made the movie worth the time I spent watching it.

Art Garfunkel as a pilot is something I'd rather ignore.

I'm probably in the minority but I thought the book was absolutely ****, i enjoyed the film and will get round to watching the TVs show soon.

And MASH never had the pointless deaths like the bloke on the diving platform (forgotten his name), the FNG who croaks on his first mission or Yossarian giving up clothes when his mate explodes all over him.
KId Sampson and Mudd (the dead man in Yossarian's tent).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Starting to get in to the dark side of the story now. Good episode tonight.

Yes, I thought that was irritating and pointless, the extra scene didn't add anything to the series.
It got a laugh out of me and the missus.

Sorry, I shall go flagellate myself for daring to suggest something of this century is better/or not equal to the original!
Its like watching LOTR nerds watching the films round here...