Catch 22 TV Series

Colonel Cathcart is as mad as a box of frogs who loves war and wants to become General Cathcart, using his bomber group to get that star. He is not the sharpest blade in the drawer!
Yes, I'd rather got that impression. I kinda like his the portrayal so far, and the acting is good, although the bits with the tomato's seemed utterly out of character.

I pointed out the lack of a breech in the nose to SWMBO all I got was a, so! It's only a film. :rolleyes:
SWMBO: Look its a tank!
Me: No dear, its a M8 Greyhound armoured car.
SWMBO: It's green! and If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Me: It's got wheels rather than tracks.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thought it was quite good, and I've read the book more times than I can count. It made a good effort at catching the spirit of the characters, although Hugh Laurie would have been even better with an eye patch!

Agree, it could all go wrong in episode 2, but I'll take that chance.
IIRC Major ___de Coverley only wears an eye patch once he gets a flower to the eye liberating a city somewhat later on.
But can't remember when in the book.
He's not quite menacing enough in this series.

My gripe, and it may just be an age thing, I just can't tell the minor characters apart, all look very similar, dressed the same, same haircut etc!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The tomatoes, and other items 'obtaibed' by the Supplies Officer is just another bit of Cathcart's character - he is amoral and a bit of black market is OK, especially as he does not really understand what is going on and what he is being manipulated into agreeing.

The characterisation of the principals in this book are one of the things that make it so good and 'dark'. Unfortunately they are also why it can be a difficult read with the reader having to think about what each one is getting up to. There is one theme - the Catch-22 - but woven in are many other themes, stories and aspects of human behaviour.

I put this in the TV thread but meant to put it here.

Watched the first episode of Catch 22 last night.

I thought it was fine. Set up a few of the recurring themes from the books (Major Major being inept - I’m waiting for his promotion, Milo Minderbender’s crooked spivvery, the doctors laconic nature, Scheisskopf’s military stupidity, Cathcart’s gung ho mentalness, the stupidity of war - when the FNG gets offed in his first mission, which he shouldn’t even have been on etc etc).

I did think the doctor was a direct reference to Major Freedman, the psychologist in MASH. In many respects the Yossarian/doctor relationship is the same as the Freedman/Klinger one. Neither medic falls for the gaming of the system but C22 is more cynical in the portrayal of this.

It probably makes sense if you don’t watch it as a “war movie”. It’s not meant to be BOB and it’s not.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Might save it up binge watch it.

Edit: still only watched Ep.1 but agree with a few points above. I was surprised at the density of the flak - random locations in Italy seemed ten times better defended than Essen/The Ruhr.

I didn’t notice the nose gun breech breach but it worries me less than the fact that the close-up nose scenes just didn’t look right. They reminded me of Flash Gordon.

Other than that the CGI was pretty good. I thought (read somewhere) they only had three or four real B-25s and painted the rest in but apparently they had 18. One was crash’n’burned deliberately and 15 are still flying.

I put this in the TV thread but meant to put it here.

Watched the first episode of Catch 22 last night.

I thought it was fine. Set up a few of the recurring themes from the books (Major Major being inept - I’m waiting for his promotion, Milo Minderbender’s crooked spivvery, the doctors laconic nature, Scheisskopf’s military stupidity, Cathcart’s gung ho mentalness, the stupidity of war - when the FNG gets offed in his first mission, which he shouldn’t even have been on etc etc).

I did think the doctor was a direct reference to Major Freedman, the psychologist in MASH. In many respects the Yossarian/doctor relationship is the same as the Freedman/Klinger one. Neither medic falls for the gaming of the system but C22 is more cynical in the portrayal of this.

It probably makes sense if you don’t watch it as a “war movie”. It’s not meant to be BOB and it’s not.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Might save it up binge watch it.

Edit: still only watched Ep.1 but agree with a few points above. I was surprised at the density of the flak - random locations in Italy seemed ten times better defended than Essen/The Ruhr.

I didn’t notice the nose gun breech breach but it worries me less than the fact that the close-up nose scenes just didn’t look right. They reminded me of Flash Gordon.

Other than that the CGI was pretty good. I thought (read somewhere) they only had three or four real B-25s and painted the rest in but apparently they had 18. One was crash’n’burned deliberately and 15 are still flying.

Found this, one of the units Catch 22 is based on.

History of the 310th, 321st and 340th Medium Bombardment Groups 1944 to 1945

German flak often seems to have been heavy and accurate over Italy.

As Danby says, ‘the weather over the target will be clear, so you can see it, unfortunately, that means they can see you too’

Flight Log of T/Sgt. Thomas A Hetzel

Last edited:
Somebody complained that everything in the programme looked brand spanking new. I replied that it probably was.

Saw this linked to in another thread and it reminded me of this complaint. Partly because of the bloke's name.

Milo_E_Rundall_22.jpg

That is Milo E Rundall, aged 22, who bailed out of his P38 over Ireland in 1942. I think it would be hard to find someone who looked newer and fresher than this. He even seems to have new teeth. He certainly looks a lot smarter than the actors in the series. He croaked in 2006.

On the upside this Milo probably didn't pay the Germans to bomb his own airfield.

Somebody complained that everything in the programme looked brand spanking new. I replied that it probably was.

Saw this linked to in another thread and it reminded me of this complaint. Partly because of the bloke's name.

View attachment 401662

That is Milo E Rundall, aged 22, who bailed out of his P38 over Ireland in 1942. I think it would be hard to find someone who looked newer and fresher than this. He even seems to have new teeth. He certainly looks a lot smarter than the actors in the series. He croaked in 2006.

On the upside this Milo probably didn't pay the Germans to bomb his own airfield.
We watched the second instalment yesterday. Still enjoying it!
I must admit, after supposedly flying 20 odd missions, the Mae West's they are wearing are still remarkably clean and pristine. Still bright yellow, with no graffiti.

View attachment 401662

The pilots were America’s brightest and best, Graduates by and large, often from good backrounds.
Sharp dressed types courtesy of the quality tailoring Uncle Sam provided, unlike the shapeless sacks we gave our people.

Somebody complained that everything in the programme looked brand spanking new. I replied that it probably was . .
That was me. More a comment, than a complaint.

I was referring NOT just to the pristine uniforms and recently painted sets, but to the pin sharp cinamephotography.

I still think it is all a bit "comic-book".

I would still suggest a bit of soft focus, and hand held camera, would be more realistic ;) .

Slightly disappointing,but worth watching.The black market dealings were worth listening to,Milo is probably the most interesting character.Music is good.

I think the series captures the sheer terror of a bomb run very well, that felling of ‘oh ****, turn away!’ as the flak comes up.
Yep those scenes are done well, as they have done well sourcing period vehicles etc. The only thing that lets the filming down is digital. It just feels too modern if that makes sense?

Yep those scenes are done well, as they have done well sourcing period vehicles etc. The only thing that lets the filming down is digital. It just feels too modern if that makes sense?
Yes, it’s hyper real
That was the strength of Band of Brothers filming. They used a digital filter to give an aged look.

Bagl0ck

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've never read the book, or seen the film. So I shall watch the series first then read the book.
Christ no!

Read the book first, I'd for no other reason than the book is a non linear narrative.

Digital can work, look at Fuji cameras with in built Fuji film simulation filters

There must be similar for video recording???

Digital can work, look at Fuji cameras with in built Fuji film simulation filters

There must be similar for video recording???

There is, and post production software has a wide range of filters it can apply.

Worth noting however, modern audiences expect a might higher quality image than older viewers. I recently was tasked with sourcing pictures for CASD50. The media company rang back and asked if we had any better pictures, ‘these are soft and blurry’. Well that’s how Ilford HP5 through a Hassleblad looked in 1969!

Watched Ep2 last night. Enjoyed it.

It’s starting to deviate from the book. Sergeant Major Major Major was promoted to Major Major Major Major by an error in an IBM tabulating machine (which had the same sense of humour as his father) rather than at the whim of Cathcart.

I couldn’t work out why the tomato truck was right hand drive. MM is turning out nicely with his spivvery - at the moment it’s sensible (lamb chops, tomatoes etc) but it is on the turn to lunacy with the plan to fly into German territory.

If you look at the credits there are loads of women involved in the production. I read an interview with Clooney who said that, not surprisingly, there were few women in the book (apart from Nateleys whore) so they beefed up the number of females in the team as a form of atonement.

I still think the flak density is excessive.

Actually I will eat my words on that comment.
C4775D02-BD77-4BB9-99C2-EAA13A7ECD44.png

But that is radar controlled flak over somewhere like Schweinfurt.

Watched Ep2 last night. Enjoyed it.

It’s starting to deviate from the book. Sergeant Major Major Major was promoted to Major Major Major Major by an error in an IBM tabulating machine (which had the same sense of humour as his father) rather than at the whim of Cathcart.

I couldn’t work out why the tomato truck was right hand drive. MM is turning out nicely with his spivvery - at the moment it’s sensible (lamb chops, tomatoes etc) but it is on the turn to lunacy with the plan to fly into German territory.

If you look at the credits there are loads of women involved in the production. I read an interview with Clooney who said that, not surprisingly, there were few women in the book (apart from Nateleys whore) so they beefed up the number of females in the team as a form of atonement.

I still think the flak density is excessive.

Actually I will eat my words on that comment.
View attachment 401787

But that is radar controlled flak over somewhere like Schweinfurt.
Glad your eating, I was looking a photos of flak just the other day. **** that, sitting in an alloy flying coke can, while a couple of 100 88s, are banging away at me...!!!!